Hello, new (and not surprisingly in need of help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B.Ollie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I love our new aquarium and our little fishies but I'm afraid we may have gotten ourselves in over our heads... we have a 20 gal tank and a penguin 150. Currently we have 5 neon tetras, 3 hatchetfish, 1 black molly and 1 cory catfish. I posted a help question in the freshwater forum because I think we may have too many fish, already, in our 20 gal tank and I just learned that the cory needs at least 2 buddies to be happy and the hatchetfish might need a school of 6 rather than just 3 - ? So I'm wondering if we should find new homes for some in order to give the remaining ones a better environment... Thoughts and ideas welcome!

B.Ollie said:
I love our new aquarium and our little fishies but I'm afraid we may have gotten ourselves in over our heads... we have a 20 gal tank and a penguin 150. Currently we have 5 neon tetras, 3 hatchetfish, 1 black molly and 1 cory catfish. I posted a help question in the freshwater forum because I think we may have too many fish, already, in our 20 gal tank and I just learned that the cory needs at least 2 buddies to be happy and the hatchetfish might need a school of 6 rather than just 3 - ? So I'm wondering if we should find new homes for some in order to give the remaining ones a better environment... Thoughts and ideas welcome!

Did you put all the fish in at once? How did you cycle your tank? How long ago did you get them, your local fish store may take some back in exchange for more of the others.....

I would take back the molly, get 3 more corys and 3 more hatchet fish.

you do not have too many fish, and you can add more. but are you sure you want hachetfish? ive heard there notorious for dieing :(

We didn't put everyone in at once: first 3 tetras, 5 days later 3 hatchetfish, and 6 days later 1 black molly, 2 more tetras, and 1 cory cat.

Back
Top Bottom