Hello! New Aquarist here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I just bought a 20 gal tank and I am getting it set up.

Bought a kit, but I have already bought a better filter. It also came with a 50w heater...will this be enough? A chart I saw made it seem like a 75w+ would be better. I live in California though, so it does not get too cold.

I am sure I will be using the forums a lot for advice! I think I am going to start out with some beginner fish like danios or tetras.

Where is the best source for information about fish and how they interact, or which go best together?

Welcome to the hobby and the forums!

As for the best source of advice as to what works together, the I would suggest www.aquariumadvice.com :) Just pick a few fish that you really like and ask what can go with them. We will do our best to give some decent suggestions to go with them.

Most heaters are rated to a certain tank size at a normal room temperature. I would suggest splurging a bit on this piece of equipment, you definitely get what you pay for when these are concerned.

It's also nice that you haven't bought fish yet because there are two different ways to start up a fish tank. Choosing to do either a fish in or fishless cycle will determine what your first steps are. Other people have described it much better than I can so here are a few links :)

Basic guide:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Fish in cycling:
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Fishless cycling:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Thanks! I think I am going to do a fishless cycle.

I just filled my tank tonight and conditioned the water.

Thanks for the links!

Back
Top Bottom