Hello - New Aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enigma.b17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all

Just wanted to say hi ;)
Joined the forum so I would have somewhere to read and discuss all things fish/aquarium related.

Just bought a new tank (32g) 2 days ago, so currently "cycling" it waiting for the time when I get my fishies :D.

Only issue so far is that I get this sort of "new toaster" smell coming from it, is the best way to describe it. If you ever get a new toaster there is generally a sort of burnt plastic smell for the first few days so I am assuming that it's just a normal smell. Only electronics are the pump (submerged) and the lights, both of which seem to be functioning correctly. If anyone has any info on what might be causing it that would be great (or if I need to worry) but I think it's fairly standard.

Any advice for a 32g tank in regards to what fish to get? I am thinking about getting 3 (1 x red Fantail, 1 x calico fantail & 1 x pleco) but worried it might be too small a tank for them when fully grown?

Thanks

Welcome!

Re: plecos- I've heard they can suck the slime coat off of a goldfish, injuring them. I might be wrong about that though so someone please correct me if I am. Also, they get way too big for a tank that size.

Bristlenose "plecos" which are only colloquially called plecos, stay much smaller (around 5") and I think can be housed with goldfish. They're also super freaking cute!

Thanks for the reply!

I started off with a couple of Fantails, will see I get on with those :)
Currently having issues maintaining a colder temperature in the tank at the moment, for some reason it wants to hang up around the 24 c mark, so been trying to reduce it with ice packs, not really working as long term solution though.

Think I need to find a way to raise the lid and install a couple of cooling fans on the side.
Any ideas/thoughts?

24C to F is 75F and that is alright for the fancy goldfish. It might be better a little less, but not worth the trouble of using ice packs.

Are you in summer right now? Or winter?

Congrats on the new tank!

Welcome to the community!!!

You might consider a different bottom feeder in the future (and a bit larger tank). Dojo Loach Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, aka Weather Loach. The albino really shows up nicely on the substrate.

A Bristlenose Pleco aka bushynose pleco - Ancistrus sp. okay for a 36G tank (temp is okay around 74F / 23C, or Rubbernose Pleco (Chaetostoma formosae) needs a bigger tank.

Maybe for the time being if you plan the tank to stay in a certain temp range safe for Corydoras / Cories would be a fun bottom fish.

Corydoras aeneus come in many colors and other Cories would be possible as well.

Cooling fans can reduce the temp a couple degrees.

Back
Top Bottom