Hello! new here and new to fish keeping. 29g freshwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryakwheel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello-
My name's Bryan and we got our first fish tank last week. I have already gotten a lot of great information from this site so I wanted to join. I hope to continue to get good info and advice here so we can make a nice home for our fish and a stimulating tank for our family. We have a 29 gallon tank with 6 tiger barbs, 6 red eye tetra, 6 zebra danio and one pictus catfish. We didn't have as many at first but I kept reading that everyone was happier in groups of 6 or more.
I know a lot of people advise less fish to begin ( i am doing fish-in cycling...a concept I never even heard of before last Friday) but I am hoping that as long as I do lots of partial water changes I can keep the toxins down and if anything the bacteria cultures will develop faster.
I have a test kit on the way and in the mean time I have been doing a 20-30% change every other day. So far everyone seems pretty happy and my family has been loving it. I'd like to get a lowlight plant soon if I can.
So I'm glad to be here and thanks in advance for all the help I know i'll get here.

Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3584.JPG
    IMG_3584.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 97
Welcome:) there are a lot of people on here that sell plants!! Look in the buy/sell/trade section:) your tank looks great!!

Thanks! It is a lot of fun. We took a national geographic pullout to put on the back glass and then also made a mini collage. I'll check out the buy/sell stuff...does that kind of stuff ship ok?

Welcome. Fish keeping is fun and you won't regret it. There are a few things you need to know but I'm too lazy to explain in my own words do I'll leave you to look them up

Tank Size
Stocking your tank
Nitrogen cycle
Fish varieties
Setting up your tank
Live plants
Curing diseases like ick and fin rot
Breeding your fish
Changing your water

Good luck

bryakwheel said:
Thanks! It is a lot of fun. We took a national geographic pullout to put on the back glass and then also made a mini collage. I'll check out the buy/sell stuff...does that kind of stuff ship ok?

I recommend finding a user that has shipped a lot and has experience already. Honestly places like Aquabid are a lot better.

welcome to the site !!! I think you will thoroughly enjoy it !! Ive got a community tank with 3 pictus and can tell you that they enjoy a current to swim in. just a thought if you ever want to pick up a wave maker or powerhead. The tiger barbs can sometimes be aggressive and nip at fins with the tank mates. Wish you all the best with the new tank !!!

Yes the pictus is fun to watch swim! I had been wondering if I should get two more because they like company. Do yours like to swim together? I'll look into something for more current I hadn't thought of that thanks.

bryakwheel said:
Yes the pictus is fun to watch swim! I had been wondering if I should get two more because they like company. Do yours like to swim together? I'll look into something for more current I hadn't thought of that thanks.

Yes, they do like swimming together and are always a joy to watch because they are very active swimmers. They usually hang out at the bottom but will swim up and down the walls as if trying to escape lol

Back
Top Bottom