Hello- New Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunahime25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello My name is Priscilla, I'm new to this forum as well as to owning fish.
I have a 3 gallon Tank. but soon to have a 10 gallon . my boyfriend got me the 10 gallon tank for my birthday. So i'v joined in hopes to get help with and thing i may have issues with. I currently have 2 tiger barbs, 1 neon tetra, 2 feeder fish that refused to be eaten by my sisters bigger fish and i have a crab & a Plecostomus.

Couple things ur fish r schoolers so they should be in a school of 5-6 or more and the pleco if its a common pleco can grow to 2 feet so he won't work in a 10

Welcome!!! Have you read about fishless cycling? That's a lot of fish for a little tank too! How longs it been set up?

Couple things ur fish r schoolers so they should be in a school of 5-6 or more and the pleco if its a common pleco can grow to 2 feet so he won't work in a 10

The one I got the local scales N tails said should be fine in my tank I'm not sure if its a common one or not. the store owner helped me pick it out I told him my tank size and all.

The pet store in most instances r gonna feed u ne bs they can for a purchase.. its pretty much like believing the usedcar salesman lol and for the fish the rule of thumb is inch per gallon but for the best result research each fish and find out about there needs like plecos have a larger. Bioload the. Most so that limits u even more on more tankmates

Ud prob be best off giving back the plecos if its a common and get a few more barbs and tetras

The inch per gallon rule isn't a very good way to determine stocking. There are many factors such as adult size, territoriality, bioload, schooling, and activity level.

Hi lunahime, and welcome to AA! :welcome::welcome: You will find this forum very helpful, if you listen patiently, and do your own research as well. Advice given at a fish store can be slanted to trying to sell you more fish. I'm currently doing multiple water changes per week, because we listened to the salespeople at the fish store 3 years ago, and now we have a pleco in a tank that is way too small for him. We will soon have a new large tank for him, but until then, it's big water changes every other day. Just so you know what can happen. And it sounds like you need some information about how to cycle your tank, and we have all kinds of resources for that on the forum. Here's a link that may help you:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html

Happy reading, and happy fishkeeping.

well if you have the room I would of course keep the fish and do an upgrade on a tank :) even barbs can grow fairly long (mine are growing pretty fast) and always go to local fish stores over pet stores 'cause they know what they're talking about and aren't just trying to simply make a sale. good luck with everything!

Back
Top Bottom