Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak

kelley - sounds like a headache. Have you heard of this guy Dustin, he has a YouTube channel which is dedicated to aquatic plants. He also sells plants and I have only read good reviews about them. There are packages you can buy which range from beginner to silver and then gold. He will also recommend a combo pack, which he will personally put together for you! He is also great with communication. The only downside is that you have to purchase a min of $35. If you want to check out his site, I can send you the link. P.S. hope everything works out for you with petswarehouse!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yeah it is they still have not responded so not usre if its worth it since my cc has been charge 3 times im trying to take care of it I will try and check out dustin but 35 bucks wow!! man this hobby is expensive lol how is the tank lookin for u?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kelley - You can find him on YouTube under "Dustinsfishtanks" Or you can go directly to his site, AquaticJungles.com. Go check it out! haha. But agreed, the only downfall is the minimum purchase order. However, I do know that he usually tends to "hook-it-up" as far as plant purchases go. Also, the plants he has in stock always change, as he grows them himself.

My tank right now is boring, 2 HOB filters, light, heater, gravel/plant substrate and currently 3 Jungle Vals. My driftwood should arrive either today or tomorrow, so I'm excited to get that in my tank. But I'll probably have to soak it for a couple days before. Anyways, keep me updated on your purchase.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #94

lol scott it will happen!! good setup though Still have not heard anything from petswarehouse and I was informed today when I caled at 4:10pm they r in NY that the internet dept was already closed--it closed at 4pm so I guess I have to call again tomorrow. Its stupid I sent like 5 emails all day today she could of responded.... Il check dustin out later on off to get kiddos in bed for school
TTFN
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #95

Welcome Scottb and good luck cycling your tank. I've never done fishless cycling. When I started my first tank I started with Mollies. Didn't work out so well so I went to my LFS and the owner gave a dozen goldfish (feeders) and a sponge from tank in his store. He said that goldfish poop alot so they're great tank cyclers. After about 2 weeks only one goldfish remaind but my amonia was at zero and my nitrite was on its way down. One of my original mollies survived the cycling. It took about six weeks to have amonia, nitrite and nitrate at zero. That was about six years ago. Since then I've converted my 46 gal to salt and started a 29 gal fresh at my work (I run a hydroponic grow shop). The hobby is obsessive
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

kelley - Best of luck with them! They seem unreliable IMO. Let me know what you think about Dustin when you get a chance.

maryannr - Welcome to my thread and thank you for your post! I found a small family-owned pet shop near my house that I plan to go check out tomorrow, even though I'll probably just pain myself to see fish that I know I can't take home with me =(. I do plan to ask the employee if he/she can provide me with some seeding material though. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they will. You are fortunate at least one of them survived the initial cycle. I had 4 Giant Danios that I initially bought for my cycle, but they all died within a 48 hour time period. I would love to transition into salt one day, but that won't be for awhile. Did you find the transition to be difficult? I feel like fresh and salt water are a whole different ball game.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #97

ok scott yes very very unrealiable have still no response but all the charges droped off my cc so whatever they ost a sale not me! Ill check him out and let u know I didnt realize u tried a cycle w fish I did that with guppies had no issues at all no losses so far all 5 bn and 3 guppies going strong good luck if u decide to get some fish today!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

kelley - It's a relief your cc was refunded! Which fish did you use to cycle your tank? Also, let's just say I decide to get some fish today....since I've already started my fishless cycle, which has me using pure ammonia, wouldn't this be harmful to the fish? What was your process that none of your fish died? All the help/advice you can give me is much appreciated! Maybe I'll ask the employee at the store. Let's hope they're more knowledgeable than the people at my local PetsMart though haha.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #99

Hey scott yes I was relieved that my cc refunded god lord! Ok I used plan old fancytail guppies 3 1 male and 2 females-- I set up my tank put everything got the filter going filled it with water that had all chemicals removed. I let it run for 3 days ( most petstores and people say 24 hrs I wasnt going to chance it) I went and got the fish and acclimated them to the tank -- They floated for over an hr -- at the 30 min mark during the float I added some of my aquarium water and then floated them the other 30 min the rest was history no issues did the same for Black neons no issues. Now since u did a fishless and added ammonia I woud check first to see what ur ammonia levels are before adding fish mine at at .5 ppm so safe if its above that I woud wait until it gets aleast to that. I do a 25% Partical water change every week. Hope that helps
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks kelley! I plan to test my water later today. Today is the 1 week mark since starting the cycle, YAY! I'm pretty sure the pH is going to change though, since I plan to put my driftwood in today. Not sure if this will change anything else, hmm....I will update later with my results

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com