Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
Still haven't decided on which fish yet. I have decided to rule out the Neons and Cardinals for a later time. I'm debating between Harlequin Rasbora, Bleeding Heart Tetra, or possibly some Mollies or Platys, since they are pretty inexpensive. What are your thoughts on these?
I love harlequin rasboras. Beautiful little fish. I have 7 in my 10g. Went through 16 to get to the 7 but don't let that put you off them. Mine was an unpleasant experience. Bleeding hearts I don't know too much about I'm sorry. If you want to go the livebearer route you can get all female or males to avoid fry. If you want fry you will need to be prepared to find a home for some. The male:female ratio is 1:2-3 to avoid the males picking on the females. Livebearers are usually very hardy. Occasionally you will come across a bad batch because they have been so overbred.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read that Tetras are good, but only the rounder ones are more hearty, like the bleeding hearts but who knows. I know they have rasboras at my LFS so I think I'm leaning towards those. Will probably pick up 4-6, don't want to overload the tank with ammonia, either on thurs or fri. Also need to remember to check my water tomorrow. Will update with progress. Thanks for the help, yet again haha.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #113
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

No problem!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just checked my ammonia and it reads 1.0ppm. I am the the process of doing a 60-70% WC. I will test the levels again in a few hours and update with the results. Am I testing my water too soon by chance?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
Just checked my ammonia and it reads 1.0ppm. I am the the process of doing a 60-70% WC. I will test the levels again in a few hours and update with the results. Am I testing my water too soon by chance?
After a water change? It's a good idea to give the new water an adequate amount of time to circulate the tank so you get a correct reading. About half an hour is enough IMO.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just tested my water again after doing a 75-80% WC, and I still get the same results. Ammonia = 1.0ppm, NitrIte and NitrAte both at 0ppm, pH = 7.8 and temp. is at 77-78F. I let the tank run for about 3 hrs or so before testing. Could I be reading ammonia either because of Seachem Comprehensive or Excel? Or maybe there is still some ammonia left in my filters from before? Thanks for the help!

EDIT - I will let my tank run for 24hrs and test it again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll read all 0's. Otherwise, I guess another WC is in order, right?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

From my experience helping others removing ammonia from a tank (swapping from fishless to fish in), it takes 2-3 or more 100% (down to the gravel) water changes to get it down to 0.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok, then I guess I am in for a few more changes. I get as much water out as I can, but it's never 100%, more like 90-95%. I did just test my water again and my ammonia levels dropped from 1.0ppm to 0.5ppm. This could just be a coincidence though. I'll test my water tomorrow morning and do another WC if ammonia is still present. Fingers crossed. Does it matter if my lights are on?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Have you got plants yet? No need to leave them on unless you want to see the tank. I think during a fishless cycle it's recommended to have them off...
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 3 Jungle Vals, so I've been leaving them on for about 8hrs. I actually just got done doing another ALMOST 100% wc. I'll leave my lights off until I test my water in the morning. Updates tomorrow on whether or not I read all zeros!

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com