Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
UPDATE: after testing my tank water, as well as my tap, I have decided I am good for fish. I was leaning towards Longfin Zebra Danios, but settled on 5 Harlequin Rasboras instead (hope this isn't too many). One thing I noticed is that 2 of them seem to have a lighter shade of the "triangle" towards their back fin. I wonder if this is just due to stress or of its an illness. Anyone have any similar experiences here?
Fish dull out/loose color when scared, stressed or sick. The coloring should come back when they feel more comfortable. Leave the lights off for the rest of the day. Also there are three types of fish commonly sold under the label of harlequin rasboras each just slightly different to another. That is also a possibility. If you are worried you can post a picture in the unhealthy fish section.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Fish dull out/loose color when scared, stressed or sick. The coloring should come back when they feel more comfortable. Leave the lights off for the rest of the day. Also there are three types of fish commonly sold under the label of harlequin rasboras each just slightly different to another. That is also a possibility. If you are worried you can post a picture in the unhealthy fish section.
This worries me, I noticed the lack in color at my LFS, before I brought them home. They were in a tank with a total of 9 of them. Although they could've been stressed by the little kid tapping on various tanks. The water looked great and all the other fish in the other tanks looked great too, no dead or dying fish. I'll wait to post a pic, unless I see something that concerns me, but thanks for the great advice. I plan to slowly acclimate my fish, probably in a span of an hour and a half to two hours, using an eyedropper (I know this is ridiculous), but my acclimation kit hasn't arrived yet. If I put my fish in at 10pm tonight, do you they will be ok till about 10am the next morning? This is when I plan to check my water.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

No problem
Most fish aren't showing their true colors at the LFS because of being transported, shoved into an over stocked tank and a net being stuck in there over and over. Not to mention its noisy and bright. Give them a few days and they should color up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3151874530.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	74551

They'll look like this in no time!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
No problem
Most fish aren't showing their true colors at the LFS because of being transported, shoved into an over stocked tank and a net being stuck in there over and over. Not to mention its noisy and bright. Give them a few days and they should color up.

They'll look like this in no time!
Those are BEAUTIFUL!! I can only hope mine look like that one day, as long as they all make it through the cycle. Fingers crossed. So do you think they will be ok till the morning? Sorry if I seem pushy with the questions, not my intention at all.

I plan to take the best care for my fish, as I know all the members of this great forum do!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Those are BEAUTIFUL!! I can only hope mine look like that one day, as long as they all make it through the cycle. Fingers crossed. So do you think they will be ok till the morning? Sorry if I seem pushy with the questions, not my intention at all.

I plan to take the best care for my fish, as I know all the members of this great forum do!
They are the most beautiful rich red color in person. I love em!
Yes, they should be. Test your water in the morning and have a good look at them to see if anythings amiss. If your ammonias .5-1ppm do a large water change or two to bring it down but you know that.
Don't be sorry about asking questions. That's what AA is for!
After learning about the cycle, ammonia, acclimating and countless other things all newbies are nervous about first fish. Especially if the first experience was a bad one.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

They are the most beautiful rich red color in person. I love em!
Yes, they should be. Test your water in the morning and have a good look at them to see if anythings amiss. If your ammonias .5-1ppm do a large water change or two to bring it down but you know that.
Don't be sorry about asking questions. That's what AA is for!
After learning about the cycle, ammonia, acclimating and countless other things all newbies are nervous about first fish. Especially if the first experience was a bad one.
Embarrassed to admit, but I had NO idea they got that red color in them. Now I'm even more excited!

So its been about an hr or two since I bought my fish, and they've been sitting in the bag because I'm waiting for the temp to rise to 78F, currently it's at 74F. How long do you think it will take for my tank to get to temperature? also how long should I watch my tanks temperature so that I know it will maintain that temperature and not cook my fish? For insatnce, if it holds a steady temp for 2 hours can I assume that it's good and go to bed?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #147
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Embarrassed to admit, but I had NO idea they got that red color in them. Now I'm even more excited!

So its been about an hr or two since I bought my fish, and they've been sitting in the bag because I'm waiting for the temp to rise to 78F, currently it's at 74F. How long do you think it will take for my tank to get to temperature? also how long should I watch my tanks temperature so that I know it will maintain that temperature and not cook my fish? For insatnce, if it holds a steady temp for 2 hours can I assume that it's good and go to bed?
For insatnce, if it holds a steady temp for 2 hours can I assume that it's good and go to bed?
^^^ that sounds good.
Look up on YouTube how to drip acclimate and start now. 4 degrees isn't going to make much difference if they are use to it.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: It is now a little after 2am, and I have decided my fish have been acclimated long enough so I put them in their new home. They all look good as far as I can tell (It's kind of dark right now). At first they would break into two separate groups, and then join back together, and every so often one brave little guy would venture off and explore. Can't wait to see them in the morning when there's some sunlight! Is it safe to turn on my light tomorrow? As I am typing this, I can see that they are all floating together at the top, farthest away from the large filter I have running. Love these guys already! =)

The only issue I noticed was that they seem to be getting pulled back by the filters. So I unplugged the smaller of the two I had running, and this seemed to help, but not get rid of the whole issue. Is this something I should be majorly concerned about? If so, what are my options of fixing this. Or how can I reduce the flow? Maybe a certain plant could help? On second thought, it could just be due to their size. They seem like juveniles, maybe about a 1/2" long.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #149
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Usually it's nothing to worry about because a healthy fish is able to swim away from a filter intake. If you are worried you can put some sponge or a piece of nylon stockings over it to prevent them getting sucked in.
I have a 65L tank with a canister filter that filters 1000L an hour. I've never had a fish sucked into the filter.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: Woke up today to see all my new fishy friends ALIVE!! Just got done checking my water, and I read what appears to be 1.0ppm of ammonia. However, I did check my tap again and it seems like I'm reading 0.5ppm. So in reality, I currently have 0.5ppm of ammonia. I will be doing a 50% water change soon.

One thing that concerns me is this, out of the 5 Rasboras, 4 of them will stay in a school together at the top of the tank, but one remains towards the bottom, separate from the others. Any reasons as to why this is? I didn't notice this behavior yesterday when I put them into their new home. I hope the little guy/girl is not sick...

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com