Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Redsea - Thank you for the post! I am going to check out your Reef Build right now. I plan to update with pictures as soon as I get my tank somewhat decorated and fully cycled. Hope everything works out as it should. Wish me luck!

There are formulas to calculate how much ammonia to add. You don't need to wait for your test kit.

Thank you Mumma and Hholly for the advice/help. Can't wait to get my fishless cycle started!

UPDATE:
Went and purchased ammonia from Ace and included a few drops into my tank to get the cycle going. My driftwood is yet to be placed into the tank because it is still soaking in water. I do have a question regarding my filters. Are there any downfalls to having 2 filters on my 36 gallon tank? Is there such a thing as OVER filtration? Also, when you do water changes, do you use 2 separate buckets? One for the dirty water, and one for the new dechlorinated water? And what is the best way to heat up the new water before adding it into my tank? Should I just take out my heater from my tank and use that, leaving my tank without a heater temporarily?

Thanks for all your help!

scottb said:
UPDATE:
Went and purchased ammonia from Ace and included a few drops into my tank to get the cycle going. My driftwood is yet to be placed into the tank because it is still soaking in water. I do have a question regarding my filters. Are there any downfalls to having 2 filters on my 36 gallon tank? Is there such a thing as OVER filtration? Also, when you do water changes, do you use 2 separate buckets? One for the dirty water, and one for the new dechlorinated water?

Thanks for all your help!

No such thing as too much filtration but there is too much flow. As long as your fish handle the flow (don't struggle to swim) its fine. No need to use different buckets. I still lift buckets for my smaller tanks this I what I do.
Syphon water into bucket/s.
Poor into garden.
Refill buckets with temperature matched water.
Add dechlorinator.
Poor in tank.
It might be worth your while looking at a water changer like a python. Makes it a lot easier and quicker. I use a garden hose on my large tanks.

Mumma - Have you ever had your new water not match the temperature of your tank? What do you do if this happens, because I know adding water that is too cold to a tank can cause fish to become stressed. Also, do you just pour your water in? I fear that my gravel/plants may move if I just pour in the new water from my bucket.

I assume I can just put my heater into my new water before I begin my gravel cleaning, and by the time I'm done siphoning my tank, the new water should be near the right temp.

scottb said:
Mumma - Have you ever had your new water not match the temperature of your tank? What do you do if this happens, because I know adding water that is too cold to a tank can cause fish to become stressed. I think i'll just put my heater into my new water before I begin my gravel cleaning, and by the time I'm done siphoning my tank, the new water should be near the right temp.

A few degrees out is nothing to worry about. I just go by feel. As long as its not 10-15 degrees (F) out its fine. In summer (it is here now) I just use the cool water from the hose or tap. In winter I use water from the hot and cold tap to get the correct temperature.

I just dump the water in. Lol doesn't bother me if stuff goes flying. Pour it in slowly if it disturbs too much stuff. A member made a bucket that sat ontop of his tank with holes in it. He poured the new water in and it dribbled out the bottom.

Last edited:
haha that sounds like an ingenious plan. Thanks for the tip! I will just be cautious when adding in new water, or possibly use my gravel vacuum the other way (as long as I can get my bucket higher than my tank) haha. I don't even know when I'm worried about this now, I still have a month or so until my tank is fully cycled. Guess it doesn't hurt to be too prepared though =)

Before I got a water changer I used to heat some water from each bucket on the stove to bring it up to the correct temp. I don't think your tank heater will heat fast enough and you can shock and break your tank heater if it's made of glass, when you suddenly take it from your warm tank into a cold bucket. Some people use a colander to dump the water in, to not disturb the decor. A fountain pump with a long piece of tubing is how I used to add water.

How often should I check the ammonia levels? I bought an eyedropper and put in 5 drops a couple hours ago. I just tested the water, using test strips I initially bought when purchasing my tank, and it reads .5ppm. Should I add more ammonia now or wait until tomorrow, check the water again, and add more?

Okay, so if my kit doesn't come for another 3 days, should I not put in anymore ammonia till then? Or should I still put in a few (2-3) drops in until my kit arrives?

scottb said:
Okay, so if my kit doesn't come for another 3 days, should I not put in anymore ammonia till then? Or should I still put in a few (2-3) drops in until my kit arrives?

Nothing will be consuming the ammonia yet so I'd say let it be as is. Someone else might have a different opinion though.

I did some research and found someone that said they used about 2 teaspoons (10mL) for their 36g. Since my water level isn't fully to the top and I have about 3 inches of substrate at the bottom, I added a little less than 10mL. I will test the water with the strips I have (only temporary), in about an hour and let you guys know what my readings are. Fingers Crossed.

Not sure what the exact ppm is based on the test strips, but the ammonia seems to be present =)

Hholly, I may have added too much based on your results. CCs and mL are the same measurement, and I think I put in about 8 CCs in my 36 gallon. I'm sure it won't be a big issue though.

Back
Top Bottom