Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am leaning more and more towards NO Angels haha. I feel like they are going to be too much of a hassle for me. Maybe they will be a breed I get into later, when I'm more experienced. So now I'm thinking 2 female GBR, 6-8 cardinal tetra, 1-2 bristlenose pleco, and I want to add 1 or 2 more fish, but not sure which ones. Any ideas? What do you think is the max number of fish I should have for them to be comfortable? And I know I can add all the fish at once, but I read that it's best to add new fish slowly because some species tend to be more territorial. That being said, I will probably add the cardinal tetra first.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, since you decided to go fishless, check this out.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ing/Page1.html

It's how I started and worked very well.
Good luck!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
I am leaning more and more towards NO Angels haha. I feel like they are going to be too much of a hassle for me. Maybe they will be a breed I get into later, when I'm more experienced. So now I'm thinking 2 female GBR, 6-8 cardinal tetra, 1-2 bristlenose pleco, and I want to add 1 or 2 more fish, but not sure which ones. Any ideas? What do you think is the max number of fish I should have for them to be comfortable? And I know I can add all the fish at once, but I read that it's best to add new fish slowly because some species tend to be more territorial. That being said, I will probably add the cardinal tetra first.
2 GBR
2 BNP
8 cardinals (I'd even do 10-12 they look great in large numbers)
1 or 2 CP (centre piece) fish
Sounds good. Look into gouramis. Three spot, golden, opaline. You could do a single one or a m/f pair of those IMO. There should be I picture of my gold in my profile (270L tank).
Stocking a tank is more than just what number of fish. There is no set rule because there are too many factors. Aggression, compatibility, adult size, swimming space, etc.
Cardinals first sounds good. Then I'd do BNP then the CP fish and the GBR last. They are the most sensitive and territorial.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Hholly for the post! I am going to follow those guidelines as well. It's nice to know that you had success with it, only makes me more optimistic!

Mumma.of.two - the more I look at my fish wishlist, the more I am loving it. Went and saw the GBR again today, wanted to take them home! haha. I actually was looking at a few gourami today, funny that you mention them. I agree with adding the GBR last as well. The guy at my LFS said that I should get 1M and 2F. Any thoughts on this?

A little update. Went to my LFS and purchased two 20lb bags of FloraMax to add with my gravel, so my substrate is a 50/50 mixture. I purchased a nice piece of driftwood, and just ordered a beautiful medium sized branchy piece as well (hope it isn't too big). I bought a Coralife 50/50 bulb to replace my current stock bulb which came with the kit. I also purchased another filter which is made for tanks up to 20 gallons.

I couldn't find pure ammonia today, will have to check other places. Since I do not have the ammonia right now to begin my cycle, is it okay that I simply leave tap water in my tank with my heater/filters running? I did not even bother to add any dechlorinator yet. I plan to add it once I get the pure ammonia. However, I have 3 Jungle Val in my tank right now. Will tap water kill them? Also, any negative drawbacks to this? Should I add the dechlorinator now even though I will not begin the fishless cycle?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks Hholly for the post! I am going to follow those guidelines as well. It's nice to know that you had success with it, only makes me more optimistic!

Mumma.of.two - the more I look at my fish wishlist, the more I am loving it. Went and saw the GBR again today, wanted to take them home! haha. I actually was looking at a few gourami today, funny that you mention them. I agree with adding the GBR last as well. The guy at my LFS said that I should get 1M and 2F. Any thoughts on this?

A little update. Went to my LFS and purchased two 20lb bags of FloraMax to add with my gravel, so my substrate is a 50/50 mixture. I purchased a nice piece of driftwood, and just ordered a beautiful medium sized branchy piece as well (hope it isn't too big). I bought a Coralife 50/50 bulb to replace my current stock bulb which came with the kit. I also purchased another filter which is made for tanks up to 20 gallons.

I couldn't find pure ammonia today, will have to check other places. Since I do not have the ammonia right now to begin my cycle, is it okay that I simply leave tap water in my tank with my heater/filters running? I did not even bother to add any dechlorinator yet. I plan to add it once I get the pure ammonia. Are there are drawbacks to this? Should I add the dechlorinator now even though I will not begin the fishless cycle?

Thanks for your inputs!
1 male 2 females will work IMO
Try looking on amazon for ace ammonia.
The tank is fine to sit for a while with just tap water. Won't harm anything. You can add dechlorinator now or just before you start the cycle.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! I was worried about not dechlorinating. I will wait until I begin my cycle. Do you know if Ace Ammonia is what they carry at Ace Hardware? I believe it is the "Ace Janitorial Strength Ammonia" or something like that. I did some research and a lot of people seemed to use this.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks! I was worried about not dechlorinating. I will wait until I begin my cycle. Do you know if Ace Ammonia is what they carry at Ace Hardware? I believe it is the "Ace Janitorial Strength Ammonia" or something like that. I did some research and a lot of people seemed to use this.
Yep that's the one.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not go ahead and dechlorinate? Just makes it inviting for all those beneficial bacteria, doesn't it?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually went ahead and added some Seachem Prime to my tank. I am currently soaking my first piece of driftwood to remove all the excess tannins. I found an Ace Hardware near my house so I plan to pick up some pure ammonia tomorrow to begin my fishless cycle. Oh, wait.....I have to wait for my API Master Test Kit to arrive. fail.

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com