Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #191
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
All good
I finally cut the insides out of the tanks hood so it would fit. Looks much better now.
WOW. I agree, looks a lot better. I can't wait until my tank is cycled and I can add plants. I keep dreaming of having a heavily planted tank, but I think it would be wiser to start small, then build up from there. So I will probably just start with some amazon swords, java fern for my driftwood, and possibly some dwarf sag for the foreground. ok, need to stop talking about it before I torture myself more haha.
__________________

__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #192
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
You know you can add plants during the cycle. They actually love a cycling tank. They consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
__________________

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #193
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
You know you can add plants during the cycle. They actually love a cycling tank. They consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Nice. I think I'm going to look into getting some Amazon Swords, and some java fern for my driftwood, to start. Do you recommend I start dosing with Excel and Comprehensive? I haven't been since I got the fish, and I haven't put in any tabs either since I redid my tank. Do you know of any good online retailers for plants? Preferably somewhere with decent prices and not crazy shipping charges.

I am debating between these two light fixtures (let me know if the links don't work):

Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Freshwater Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X31W 30 inch Coralife T5 HO

AquaticLife 30" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture Freshwater AquaticLife 24 AquaticLife Lights AquaticLife T5 HO Light AquaticLife Light AquaticLife Lighting Dual Lamp T5 HO Aquatic Life

The only real noticeable difference I see is that both of the fixtures come with different bulbs (6000k and 6700k, colormax and actinic blue), with different watts (one comes with 2x31w and the other 2x24), and the AquaticLife has one bulb measured in nm, but I have no idea how to reference that.

Also found this one, it's in the same price range and it has 4 bulbs with 2 switches so I can use only 2 and have the option of using 4 in the future.

http://fishneedit.com/30in-4bulbs-fixtu304.html

Any idea which one is better? Any help/opinions are appreciated.
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #194
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

Nice. I think I'm going to look into getting some Amazon Swords, and some java fern for my driftwood, to start. Do you recommend I start dosing with Excel and Comprehensive? I haven't been since I got the fish, and I haven't put in any tabs either since I redid my tank. Do you know of any good online retailers for plants? Preferably somewhere with decent prices and not crazy shipping charges.

I am debating between these two light fixtures (let me know if the links don't work):

Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Freshwater Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X31W 30 inch Coralife T5 HO

AquaticLife 30" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture Freshwater AquaticLife 24 AquaticLife Lights AquaticLife T5 HO Light AquaticLife Light AquaticLife Lighting Dual Lamp T5 HO Aquatic Life

The only real noticeable difference I see is that both of the fixtures come with different bulbs (6000k and 6700k, colormax and actinic blue), with different watts (one comes with 2x31w and the other 2x24), and the AquaticLife has one bulb measured in nm, but I have no idea how to reference that. Do you know if I can simply replace the bulbs with any T5HO bulb? or is the wattage specific to the fixture? So if it comes with 24w bulbs, I can only replace it with another 24w bulb, or can I replace it with a bulb of higher, or lower watts? Any idea which one is better? Any help/opinions are appreciated.
I'm pretty sure the 31w bulbs are 30" and the 24w bulbs are 21" long. So they aren't interchangeable because they are different lengths. If it where me I'd pick the coralife fixture. You can start ferts when you get plants. Swords are heavy root feeders so put some root tabs under them.

Edit: the last fixture looks good too! If you decide to go more high tech in the future you can use the same fixture.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #195
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
You know you can add plants during the cycle. They actually love a cycling tank. They consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
I'm pretty sure the 31w bulbs are 30" and the 24w bulbs are 21" long. So they aren't interchangeable because they are different lengths. If it where me I'd pick the coralife fixture. You can start ferts when you get plants. Swords are heavy root feeders so put some root tabs under them.
Thanks, I was leaning towards the Coralife as well. So based on the measurements, if my tank is 31" long, from its widest point, so from frame to frame, this light should fit right? My current fixture is 30" long and houses a 24" bulb. At least I'm pretty sure it's 30" long.

The only thing with the last light is that I would need to buy new bulbs, because they only offer 10000k or 20000k bulbs. Doesn't seem like too big a hassle though, right?

21" long.....seems like an odd length. 24" and 30" make more sense, to me at least haha.
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #196
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Coralife as well. So based on the measurements, if my tank is 31" long, from its widest point, so from frame to frame, this light should fit right? My current fixture is 30" long and houses a 24" bulb. At least I'm pretty sure it's 30" long.

The only thing with the last light is that I would need to buy new bulbs, because they only offer 10000k or 20000k bulbs. Doesn't seem like too big a hassle though, right?

21" long.....seems like an odd length. 24" and 30" make more sense, to me at least haha.
I'm getting confused! Lol! You will want a fixture the same length as the one you have. So if it's 30" with 24" bulbs you'll want another 30" fixture with 24" bulbs.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #197
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
I'm getting confused! Lol! You will want a fixture the same length as the one you have. So if it's 30" with 24" bulbs you'll want another 30" fixture with 24" bulbs.
If this were the case, none of the three fixtures would work then. Wouldn't I be able to use a fixture that is roughly 30" long and has a 24w bulb? I will be replacing my stock hood with an all glass Versa Top, if this makes any difference.
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #198
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

If this were the case, none of the three fixtures would work then. Wouldn't I be able to use a fixture that is roughly 30" long and has a 24w bulb? I will be replacing my stock hood with an all glass Versa Top, if this makes any difference.
I haven't a clue about different hoods available. Tank standard sizes, brands and fixtures are all different where I am.
This thread has gotten very long so to get more views maybe start a new one for the lights? I wish I could help!
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #199
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

I haven't a clue about different hoods available. Tank standard sizes, brands and fixtures are all different where I am.
This thread has gotten very long so to get more views maybe start a new one for the lights? I wish I could help!
Agreed. Thanks for all the help!
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #200
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ga,usa
Posts: 2
Unhappy help!Newbe with fish in cycle

[QUOTE=Mumma.of.two;1760648]Hi and welcome!
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Please read this. It contains info on different cycling methods including the safe way to to a fish in cycle.[please help with fish in cycle,fish are ok for now.thanks vinniefrio
__________________

__________________
vinniefrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supporting Member Dylan5359 Forum Admin & Announcements 0 06-30-2011 01:15 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.