Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #221
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly
That's so weird because I order flea and tick meds for my dogs and they get shipped cheaper from Australia than from anywhere here. Go figure. Hey Mumma, maybe you could start importing on a large scale for yourself and other hobbyists to get cheaper stuff, haha. Maybe it could pay for your fish stuff.
Very tempting! The Aussie dollar is something like $1.08US at the moment. the problem with electrical items is the voltage and plugs. You guys are on 110? We are on 240v.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #222
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

scott let me know how that light fixture does when u get it and put it on ur tank! bc I was wondering how that work with those little feet it has on it ...Have u ordered it yet?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #223
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would highly recommend an AquaClear filter, instead of the one that came with your tank. They are magic when it comes to bio filtration. And, they're super cheap to maintain, as all of the filter media are sold separately and each cost just a couple of dollars (depending on what size filter you get).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #224
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Haha! I'm surprised I'm not!
More power to you!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #225
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr8zykelley
scott let me know how that light fixture does when u get it and put it on ur tank! bc I was wondering how that work with those little feet it has on it ...Have u ordered it yet?
Yes, I ordered it last night, so it should ship out today. I'm also interested in how it will work/look with the legs, since its shorter than the length of my tank. But, I only plan to use the legs if I feel that there is too much light. Having the option to raise (with legs) or lower (without legs) the light intensity, so to say, is nice to have. I'll take some pics once I get it and its all set up. Chose not to go with the 30" because I noticed that if you use the legs on the frame, then you have to have an open tank, or you could make a custom one yourself I guess. Do we have the same tank?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelleinchicago
I would highly recommend an AquaClear filter, instead of the one that came with your tank. They are magic when it comes to bio filtration. And, they're super cheap to maintain, as all of the filter media are sold separately and each cost just a couple of dollars (depending on what size filter you get).
Yes, I agree. Not only do many members on AA own and use them, but like you said so yourself, cheap to maintain. I also love having the option to customize the filtration and water flow. I plan to get an AC70, remove all the filter media from my QuietFlow10, and cram it in the 70. This will run along my Aqueon QuietFlow 30 in my 36g.

Also, I plan to run 2 sponges and biomax, instead of the carbon. I just keep reading that carbon is good mainly for removing meds. And a lot of members don't use the carbon as well. What's your experience with this? Oh, and thanks for the post!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #227
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: All 6 of my Rasboras seem happy and healthy . I tested my water today and here were my results. (STILL CYCLING)

pH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
NitrIte = 0.25 ppm
NitrAte = 10 ppm

The NitrAte level seemed off to me, so I tested my tap water. I tested water that's been sitting out for a few days now. Not sure if this has an impact on my results...

Results from the tap

pH = 8.2 (same as tank)
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm (same as tank)
NitrIte = 0 ppm
NitrAte = 10 ppm (same as tank)

Hmmm......something is wrong here. I shouldn't be reading the same levels for Ammonia in my tank, AND my tap. And if I'm reading 10 ppm for NitrAtes in my tap, then should I just assume this to be 0 ppm? And if this is the case, will I ALWAYS have to read 10 ppm as zero? And same goes for my ammonia levels. Will they drop to zero regardless, once my tank is fully cycled? I'm so confused by this! Anyone able to shed some knowledge on me?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #228
Aquarium Advice Freak

I took some pictures of the Ammonia and NitrAte tests from my tap. Sorry about the quality, all I have is my phone.

Ammonia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120209_122447.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	75642  
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #229
Aquarium Advice Freak

here are the rest, sorry.

Ammonia

Name:	ForumRunner_20120209_122822.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	75643

NitrAte
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120209_122901.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	75644  
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #230
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
UPDATE: All 6 of my Rasboras seem happy and healthy . I tested my water today and here were my results. (STILL CYCLING)

pH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
NitrIte = 0.25 ppm
NitrAte = 10 ppm

The NitrAte level seemed off to me, so I tested my tap water. I tested water that's been sitting out for a few days now. Not sure if this has an impact on my results...

Results from the tap

pH = 8.2 (same as tank)
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm (same as tank)
NitrIte = 0 ppm
NitrAte = 10 ppm (same as tank)

Hmmm......something is wrong here. I shouldn't be reading the same levels for Ammonia in my tank, AND my tap. And if I'm reading 10 ppm for NitrAtes in my tap, then should I just assume this to be 0 ppm? And if this is the case, will I ALWAYS have to read 10 ppm as zero? And same goes for my ammonia levels. Will they drop to zero regardless, once my tank is fully cycled? I'm so confused by this! Anyone able to shed some knowledge on me?
I see you have some nitrIte! The ammonia is starting to get converted. When the tank is completely cycled you will have 0 ammonia (except maybe a little but right after a water change from the tap) because the bacteria will 'convert' the ammonia from the fish and the tap quickly.
Don't expect the nitrate to be 0 if you have it in your tap but everything else will be. I would keep testing the tap water periodically to see what it contains. Tap water, especially nitrate can change daily/weekly. Just remember it will be a "0" in your mind as in it won't get any lower BUT it still is 10ppm nitrate.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com