Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

I see you have some nitrIte! The ammonia is starting to get converted. When the tank is completely cycled you will have 0 ammonia (except maybe a little but right after a water change from the tap) because the bacteria will 'convert' the ammonia from the fish and the tap quickly.
Don't expect the nitrate to be 0 if you have it in your tap but everything else will be. I would keep testing the tap water periodically to see what it contains. Tap water, especially nitrate can change daily/weekly. Just remember it will be a "0" in your mind as in it won't get any lower BUT it still is 10ppm nitrate.
Thank you! So basically my NitrAte levels aren't considered too high until I read about 50ppm since I have 10ppm in my tap right? And yes, NitrItes woohoo!
__________________

__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

Thank you! So basically my NitrAte levels aren't considered too high until I read about 50ppm since I have 10ppm in my tap right? And yes, NitrItes woohoo!
Well, high is high no matter where you start. 40ppm is 40ppm no matter if it came from tap or fish. It means when cycling if you see 10ppm it means it's from the tap but if you see 20ppm you are getting 10ppm from tap and 10ppm from fish/tank. So the tap 10ppm is '0' when it comes to watching the nitrate from the cycle/fish produce. Make sense?
__________________

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Well, high is high no matter where you start. 40ppm is 40ppm no matter if it came from tap or fish. It means when cycling if you see 10ppm it means it's from the tap but if you see 20ppm you are getting 10ppm from tap and 10ppm from fish/tank. So the tap 10ppm is '0' when it comes to watching the nitrate from the cycle/fish produce. Make sense?
I think so. So when my tank is fully cycled, can I ignore the readings from my tap, and simply go with what my tank reads?
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

I think so. So when my tank is fully cycled, can I ignore the readings from my tap, and simply go with what my tank reads?
I'm sorry I'm being so confusing!
Yes, ammonia or nitrIte in tap water won't matter because your bacteria colony will grow to accommodate it.
NitrAte will matter a bit. Because you are removing nitrate but also putting some back in with the new tap water. That's something to be aware of. Nothing to worry about you will just need larger more frequent water changes to keep it low.
Eg: the tank reads 40ppm. You do a 50% water change removing 20ppm BUT because your tap contains 10ppm you are adding 10ppm back in. Your tank will read 30ppm.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

I'm sorry I'm being so confusing!
Yes, ammonia or nitrIte in tap water won't matter because your bacteria colony will grow to accommodate it.
NitrAte will matter a bit. Because you are removing nitrate but also putting some back in with the new tap water. That's something to be aware of. Nothing to worry about you will just need larger more frequent water changes to keep it low.
Eg: the tank reads 40ppm. You do a 50% water change removing 20ppm BUT because your tap contains 10ppm you are adding 10ppm back in. Your tank will read 30ppm.
No, no. Not being confusing, I'm just trying to make sure I understood correctly. Thanks so much for the explanation!
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
No problem! Glad my rants make sense
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
UPDATE: got my plants in the mail today! Just planted them for now, I'll more than likely end up rescaping eventually. But here's what it looks like, as of now. Comments?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120209_204620.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	75727

The only issue I'm noticing is that the longer plants like the vals and swords are being pulled towards the filter tubes. Any way of solving this, without using a sponge?
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
UPDATE: got my plants in the mail today! Just planted them for now, I'll more than likely end up rescaping eventually. But here's what it looks like, as of now. Comments?
I like it! Its going to look great when they fill out a bit.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

I like it! Its going to look great when they fill out a bit.
Yea, can't wait. I know I'll be checking them everyday for growth haha. Any suggestions on keeping the filter tubes from pulling my swords towards them? Besides using a sponge?
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #240
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

Yea, can't wait. I know I'll be checking them everyday for growth haha. Any suggestions on keeping the filter tubes from pulling my swords towards them? Besides using a sponge?
Different positioning? That's one thing I take into consideration when planting a tank. All my tanks are over filtered so the flow is quite strong.
__________________

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supporting Member Dylan5359 Forum Admin & Announcements 0 06-30-2011 01:15 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.