Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #251
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: I know its been awhile since my last update, so I figured I would. It's been roughly 2 weeks since my fish have been in their new home. I have been doing tests frequently and water changes, when needed. My ammonia level is reading 0ppm and I have signs of NitrItes AND NitrAtes. Is it odd that I have NitrAte readings this early? I thought this wouldn't happen until week 6-8.

My test done today shows as follows:

Ammonia = 0ppm
NitrIte = 2.0ppm
NitrAte = 40ppm, but actually 30ppm since my tap has 10ppm.

Not sure if these readings are right. I attached some pics. Anyone who cares to verify is welcome.

Out of my 6 rasboras, I noticed a single male off on his own, tucked away towards the top of the tank, in the corner. Anyone know why he might be acting this way? I did notice some mating behavior over the past couple days, could he be guarding eggs? Although I highly doubt this. Maybe he's the only one feeling the effects of the NitrIte and NitrAte? Either way, I plan to do a 60-70% water change (possibly 2), before I go to sleep tonight.

Any help is grateful!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120215_200302.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	76861

Name:	ForumRunner_20120215_200328.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	76865

Name:	ForumRunner_20120215_200402.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	76866

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #252
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
UPDATE: I know its been awhile since my last update, so I figured I would. It's been roughly 2 weeks since my fish have been in their new home. I have been doing tests frequently and water changes, when needed. My ammonia level is reading 0ppm and I have signs of NitrItes AND NitrAtes. Is it odd that I have NitrAte readings this early? I thought this wouldn't happen until week 6-8.

My test done today shows as follows:

Ammonia = 0ppm
NitrIte = 2.0ppm
NitrAte = 40ppm, but actually 30ppm since my tap has 10ppm.

Not sure if these readings are right. I attached some pics. Anyone who cares to verify is welcome.

Out of my 6 rasboras, I noticed a single male off on his own, tucked away towards the top of the tank, in the corner. Anyone know why he might be acting this way? I did notice some mating behavior over the past couple days, could he be guarding eggs? Although I highly doubt this. Maybe he's the only one feeling the effects of the NitrIte and NitrAte? Either way, I plan to do a 60-70% water change (possibly 2), before I go to sleep tonight.

Any help is grateful!
Cycles coming along nicely! 4-8 weeks is just the average. I've heard of cycles completing in 3 weeks.
The nitrIte is VERY high. You need to get it down to .25ppm or less ASAP. It's just as toxic as the ammonia. If you have some salt that contains no anticaking agents or iodine you can add 1 tablespoon per 10g of tank water to help with the nitrite toxicity.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #253
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Cycles coming along nicely! 4-8 weeks is just the average. I've heard of cycles completing in 3 weeks.
The nitrIte is VERY high. You need to get it down to .25ppm or less ASAP. It's just as toxic as the ammonia. If you have some salt that contains no anticaking agents or iodine you can add 1 tablespoon per 10g of tank water to help with the nitrite toxicity.
Ahhh! Now I'm starting to get a little worried. I just did about a 80% water change. How long should I wait to check my NitrIte levels again? And I don't think I have any salt like that, will have to go get some tomorrow. I hear kosher salt works? How do I know if I have the right salt?

The single male who's been acting weird is really fatigued. When he got caught in the flow of the filter, the current just took him and he went belly up. Then he regained balance and started swimming around. I assume its due to the effects of the NitrIte. But all the others seem fine and active. Hope he and the others make it through the cycle.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #254
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Ahhh! Now I'm starting to get a little worried. I just did about a 80% water change. How long should I wait to check my NitrIte levels again? And I don't think I have any salt like that, will have to go get some tomorrow. I hear kosher salt works? How do I know if I have the right salt?

The single male who's been acting weird is really fatigued. When he got caught in the flow of the filter, the current just took him and he went belly up. Then he regained balance and started swimming around. I assume its due to the effects of the NitrIte. But all the others seem fine and active. Hope he and the others make it through the cycle.
Enough time for the water to circulate, 15-20 min is enough. Kosher salt is the same as aquarium salt. Make sure to check the label for additives. It's not needed but it will help the fish during the nitrite spike. I use rock salt. It's pure salt with no anticaking agents or idodine.

It sounds like it is from the nitrite. It will effect the weakest first. Get the levels down and hopefully he will perk up again.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #255
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lost the male....
Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #256
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Lost the male....
I'm sorry to hear that. It happens sometimes.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #257
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. It happens sometimes.
yea, I can't help but blame myself for not checking the water again last night. Definitely a learning experience.

Just checked my NitrIte level, and it's at 1ppm now, so I will do another 80% water change, check it again, and try my best to get it to 0.25ppm or lower.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #258
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

yea, I can't help but blame myself for not checking the water again last night. Definitely a learning experience.

Just checked my NitrIte level, and it's at 1ppm now, so I will do another 80% water change, check it again, and try my best to get it to 0.25ppm or lower.
We all have to learn some how. He may have been weak anyway. Your back on track now
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #259
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

We all have to learn some how. He may have been weak anyway. Your back on track now
yes, I will not let this slow me down!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #260
Aquarium Advice Freak

so my heater just decided to die on me after the water change. Since I won't be able to get another heater until sometime tomorrow, what should I do? Will my fish be ok for at least 24 hrs? The room temp at night is around 74F and colder during the day, although I'm not sure the exact degree. HELP!

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com