Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #301
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

When you say choose between the ottos and pleco, do you mean pick one or the other? What about Julii cory cats? And thanks for the tip. I'll wait to get the Oto cats. I would also like another schooling fish, just not sure which one...there are just so many!!
Yes, one or the other. they need enough food so you don't want to overstock. BN plecos are very easy to supplement but ottos aren't. BN love green vege. If you have one ram julis will work. If you get a mated pair they might want the whole bottom of the tank to themselves.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #302
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Yes, one or the other. they need enough food so you don't want to overstock. BN plecos are very easy to supplement but ottos aren't. BN love green vege. If you have one ram julis will work. If you get a mated pair they might want the whole bottom of the tank to themselves.
Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #303
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: so I tested my water and got some odd numbers.

Up until last night, I was reading roughly 2.0ppm of NitrIte. While performing a water change this morning, my AC50 motor stopped working, so I emptied the filter media into a bucket, which had a little bit of tank water in it. I noticed a good amount of what seemed to be either algae or bacteria fall off the foam and biomax I have on the AC50. I got the motor to work and it is running as it should.

I let the tank run for about an hr or more, and I read 0ppm for NitrIte and 0.25ppm for Ammonia and 0ppm for NitrAte. This worries me.

My question is, is it even possible that my tank has restarted its cycle? I find this hard to believe because essentially, isn't it the same concept as me adding a new filter and running along my already existing one? Anyways, anyone know why I'm getting these odd numbers, or what could possibly be going on? Need help!!! Thanks.

EDIT: tested my tap for ammonia and it appears to be the same color as my tank water. So I will assume ammonia is at 0ppm. I will have to test my water again later tonight.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #304
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

How large was your water change? The media didn't dry out it get chlorinated water on it?
I think it looks fine. The .25ppm is from the tap and the others zeroed out from the water change.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #305
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
How large was your water change? The media didn't dry out it get chlorinated water on it?
I think it looks fine. The .25ppm is from the tap and the others zeroed out from the water change.
The water change was pretty large, probably 80-90%. I don't think any chlorinated water got on any of the filter media, and if any did, only a few drops at most. So I should see NitrIte levels again since the reason I'm reading 0ppm is from the massive water change right?

On a positive note, I added some more prime, just to be safe, and my fish seem to be happier. In the past few days, I've noticed NitrIte spikes, and they have been mostly hanging out at the bottom. However, today they will occasionally swim in the middle to top of the tank. One female has been at top for awhile =).
Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #306
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just tested again and showing 1.0ppm NitrIte, whew. Will do another water change shortly =).
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #307
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Yep it's jut from the water change. It's not a bad thing you got it so low
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #308
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yep it's jut from the water change. It's not a bad thing you got it so low
haha that's true. One of my females is acting weird. She keeps swimming really slowly in patterns, and to the surface. Then she swims back down, about halfway. This is similar to the behavior one of my males had, before finding him the next morning, dead. I don't think she's going to make it till the morning....wonder if I should give her the dreaded cold bath. She just seems to be getting worse...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #309
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: the female I feared wouldn't make it till the morning just passed away...Am I cursed or something? I feel like I lose a fish every few days, one after the other. I am now down to 3...one male and 2 females. Hopefully they make it through the cycle.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #310
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im not saying to do things my way. And i know its wrong. BUT i dont check all the water conditions with my tanks. I set them up let them run for 3-4 weeks to cycle and then put fish in. I may lose a few at first but i havent lost a fish in near a year. Mind you yesterday i found ich on my pearl gourmie so took carcoal out and treating the tank with ich medication.

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com