Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #331
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, after some research, I have decided to do a 60-70% water change and let the tank run for about an hour, set aside a 5 gallon bucket of tank water with 1 tablespoon of salt, which I will gradually add throughout the day. A question I did have is when doing a water change, lets say 50%, I know I need to add half the dosage, so do I add it right away, or in small doses again?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #332
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb

I haven't added any salt yet, was waiting to make sure it was safe =). So if I change out let's say roughly 20-25 gallons of water, do I need to add salt for all 20-25 gallons? I'm just not 100% sure or comfortable on the method of adding salt.
If you have a full dose in the tank you need to replace 4 tablespoons of salt for 20g removed or 5 tablespoons of salt for 25g removed (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons). Just replace what is taken out.
Keep track of how much is in the tank. I like to write it down on a sticky note on the wall behind the tank.
You don't want to add it all at once. What I do is get enough salt for a full dose, put it in a container and dissolve in some tank water. Add 1/4 of that salt solution every 12 hours or so.
Now if you do a water change before the whole dose is in the tank (which you will be doing) you need to only replace what is taken out. So if you have a half dose (1 tablespoon per 10gallons) you only need to replace salt up to that concentration after/during your water change.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #333
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

If you have a full dose in the tank you need to replace 4 tablespoons of salt for 20g removed or 5 tablespoons of salt for 25g removed (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons). Just replace what is taken out.
Keep track of how much is in the tank. I like to write it down on a sticky note on the wall behind the tank.
You don't want to add it all at once. What I do is get enough salt for a full dose, put it in a container and dissolve in some tank water. Add 1/4 of that salt solution every 12 hours or so.
Now if you do a water change before the whole dose is in the tank (which you will be doing) you need to only replace what is taken out. So if you have a half dose (1 tablespoon per 10gallons) you only need to replace salt up to that concentration after/during your water change.
Thank you! Seeing as how I haven't added any salt yet, I will do my water change, let the tank run, and set aside a container with tank water and 6 tablespoons (30 gallons) of salt. Then I will slowly dose roughly 1/4 of the amount every 12 hours. Sound like a good plan? Also, do you think it might be wise to only add half the dosage, so 1 tablespoons for 10g? And what should my temp be at? Currently its at 79-80F.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #334
Aquarium Advice Freak

Managed to get a picture of what I believe are diatoms. This is what it looks like when I'm doing a water change and the filters are off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120228_171820.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	79688

Anyone care to confirm this? Of course that is if they can from the picture.

And just for fun, thought I'd add a picture of my water change setup. I use the gravel vac to siphon water back into my tank, using a separate bucket to add new, dechlorinated water into the bucket with the vac in it. What do you think? Would love to see/hear other peoples setups!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120228_171902.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	79689

Oh, and the firelogs are just for leverage haha.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #335
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Thank you! Seeing as how I haven't added any salt yet, I will do my water change, let the tank run, and set aside a container with tank water and 6 tablespoons (30 gallons) of salt. Then I will slowly dose roughly 1/4 of the amount every 12 hours. Sound like a good plan? Also, do you think it might be wise to only add half the dosage, so 1 tablespoons for 10g? And what should my temp be at? Currently its at 79-80F.
Starting off with a smaller dose and slowly increasing the salt will allow you to monitor your fishes reaction to it. Sounds like a good plan. IMO the temps fine for now. If it gets worse decrease the temp a bit.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #336
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Managed to get a picture of what I believe are diatoms. This is what it looks like when I'm doing a water change and the filters are off.

Anyone care to confirm this? Of course that is if they can from the picture.

And just for fun, thought I'd add a picture of my water change setup. I use the gravel vac to siphon water back into my tank, using a separate bucket to add new, dechlorinated water into the bucket with the vac in it. What do you think? Would love to see/hear other peoples setups!

Oh, and the firelogs are just for leverage haha.
Look up biofilm. That's what forms on the top of the water. Harmless also. You can remove it by putting a paper towel over the surface if the water for a second or increasing surface agitation.

Water change set up looks good I use to put a chair on a table but my kids kept trying to climb it :/
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #337
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

I can't wait either! I hate to see others struggling with their fish. It is so hard, I know! I've been through it. I almost canned the whole fish keeping idea after I lost my favorite fish. And dealing with treatment for sick fish is so frustrating! Just keep pushing through and eventually you will be able to sit back and enjoy your fish! It's weird when that finally happens though after doing so much work. It almost feels like you "need to do more".
"need to do more." - haha I know exactly what you mean by this. Thanks for the support and faith!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #338
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I began the salt treatment yesterday, only did a half dose to be safe. I noticed the female with the white on her head has been breathing heavily. Her mouth is opening and closing constantly. She is also not very active and didn't seem interested in any food when I fed them last night. Anyone know why this could be? Should I just continue to dose salt and hope for the best?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #339
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
So I began the salt treatment yesterday, only did a half dose to be safe. I noticed the female with the white on her head has been breathing heavily. Her mouth is opening and closing constantly. She is also not very active and didn't seem interested in any food when I fed them last night. Anyone know why this could be? Should I just continue to dose salt and hope for the best?
I'm sorry to hear that IMO/E it won't be the salt causing it. Up the dosage today IMO. Keep up the water changes and reduce the heat by 2-3 degrees. I don't know what else to suggest sorry. The salt will help kill whatever it is and help promote the fishes slime coat. It could be from cycling (not if you are keeping the toxins down), weaker stock from the store, a bacteria or fungus. IME harlequins can be sensitive. As you know I went through 16 to get the 6 (was 7) I have now.
Good luck! I know it sucks loosing one after another but keep your head up and know your doing your best!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #340
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

I'm sorry to hear that IMO/E it won't be the salt causing it. Up the dosage today IMO. Keep up the water changes and reduce the heat by 2-3 degrees. I don't know what else to suggest sorry. The salt will help kill whatever it is and help promote the fishes slime coat. It could be from cycling (not if you are keeping the toxins down), weaker stock from the store, a bacteria or fungus. IME harlequins can be sensitive. As you know I went through 16 to get the 6 (was 7) I have now.
Good luck! I know it sucks loosing one after another but keep your head up and know your doing your best!
Thanks for the support! I plan to do another water change later tonight, having already done one this morning, and will up the salt dose by 2 tablespoons or so. Will post if anything changes.

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com