Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mumma - What kind of background is that on your 17g Low Tech tank?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It's a foam background. Just a generic chain store one I cut to fit and wedged it in. You can make your own carving out styrofoam and adding cement paint. I don't know the exact details but I'd like to try one day.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

That will be a project for another time. I think I'll just purchase some black vinyl or whatever it is for now. Do you know if I can start dosing with Seachem Excel and the Comprehensive Supplement while my tank is in the cycling process, or should I wait until the cycle is finished?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
That will be a project for another time. I think I'll just purchase some black vinyl or whatever it is for now. Do you know if I can start dosing with Seachem Excel and the Comprehensive Supplement while my tank is in the cycling process, or should I wait until the cycle is finished?
You can spray paint the back of the tank. Gives a nice even finish unlike the stick on backings. You can start dosing now if you like. Won't effect the cycle in any way.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ideally I would love to spray paint the back black, but as my tank sits right now, I would have to remove all the water and start the cycle over if I wanted to do that. I will have to do this some other time, when my tank is empty. Actually, do you think I can remove some water into a bucket when the cycle is finished, paint it, then put the water that I placed in the bucket back into my tank? Also, thank you for letting me know about the dosing.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

If you want to paint it it would be easier now when there are no fish in the tank. It won't start the cycle over if you drain the water. Just dose the ammonia back up afterwards.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, thanks. The point of dosing the ammonia back afterwards is to make sure that the bacteria is properly working in my tank correct? Meaning, once I add ammonia back into my tank, it should read 0ppm if my tank was cycled successfully right?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Okay, thanks. The point of dosing the ammonia back afterwards is to make sure that the bacteria is properly working in my tank correct? Meaning, once I add ammonia back into my tank, it should read 0ppm if my tank was cycled successfully right?
Yes that's right at the end of the cycle the ammonia and nitrite are 0 in 24 hours.
What I was saying is that if you want to paint the tank at any time during the cycle it's ok to drain the tank and paint, then add water and ammonia back in when your done. Just keep the filter media wet.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

So you're saying I can completely drain my tank before my cycle is finished, and it will still be fine? Also, when you say keep the filter media wet, what do you mean exactly?

UPDATE: Began dosing Seachem Excel and the Comprehensive Supplement today. Also, my API Master Test Kit should arrive today, so I will know what my ammonia levels are soon enough!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
So you're saying I can completely drain my tank before my cycle is finished, and it will still be fine? Also, when you say keep the filter media wet, what do you mean exactly?

UPDATE: Began dosing Seachem Excel and the Comprehensive Supplement today. Also, my API Master Test Kit should arrive today, so I will know what my ammonia levels are soon enough!
You can completely drain your tank at anytime and your cycle will be fine. Most of the bacteria live in the filter. The amount in the water is minuscule. Keeping the filter media (sponge, biomax, etc) wet keeps the bacteria alive. So if your going to mess with the tank and the filters going to be off with a chance of drying out its best to move it to a bucket or something to keep it wet.

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com