Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello, New member here

Hello everyone excited to be a member...I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank I am just getting started put my live rock in last night to start my cycle. I had a saltwater tank many, many years ago but forgot a lot of what I had to do. Will appreciate any help you all can give me.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey there night eyes!! Welcome to the forum. You will recieve tons of great informative help here. Make sure that your tank completes a full cycle before you add any fishies to it!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Shark Bait and I am doing just that. The only thing that I was questioning about that is the live rock I purchased is completely cured they say I have been checking my ammonia everyday and it has been 2.0 not getting any higher, so I am wondering if it goes to 0 and holds out there for 3 days do you think it's safe to say it's cycled?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No Ma'am, I made that same assumption with my first SW and lost a few fish. A true cycle normally takes 3 weeks to complete. With live and cured rock, your tank may try to "trick you" into thinking it's cycled. Then randomly you might get a spike in ammonia and fish will suffer. To be safe i'd wait till you hit at least the 2 1/2 week mark (Long time I know :/) to be completely sure your water is safe
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

make sure to check your nitrite and nitrate levels also. ammonia should go down and nitrites rise then nitrites go down and nitrates rise. when the nitrites reach zero you should be good to go! make sure to add animals slowly ( amount not speed lol) and keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hmmm I was wondering about that. Well I surely appreciate the advice and will definitely wait the 3-4 weeks I was thinking of doing originally Thanks again and will let you know how I make out!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck!! Any other questions you know where to ask!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks kicking fish yeah I get a little confused with the nitrite, nitrate thing I did test them the other day but don't recall what they were but that was the same time I put my rock in. I do have one question tho...after the tank is all cycled and everything is where is supposed to be I have read on some sites to do a water change and other sites say I don't need to. What is your take on this? Out to whom ever can answer that for me. Much appreciated.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't really see a need to do a water change unless the nitrates are high. I'm assuming you are going to do some sort of reef tank with the live rock. You will want your nitrates to be below 20 ppm. If it is a fish only tank they can be a little high with no worries. Always keep your nitrite at zero and of course you should never have an ammonia reading. on a side note I use to live in orlando. Still miss florida all the time!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well you have a 55 gal tank but what is your filtration? I like to do 2-3 partial water changes a month. Not a lot, maybe 10-20%. Helps keep your nitrate levels low too. But whats your filtration?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com