Hello New Member joining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sazure

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've often read this site, but not responded much (due to doing fish rescues and trying to find them new homes - betta's mostly, a pacu once, and many turtles from illegals in Chinatown NYC).

Not so great with the computer so hope this is posted correctly.

I grew up on Dr. Innes (LONG ago, lol) books and everything I could read in the local library in Southern Oregon back in the late 60's, and got my first fish (guppies - what else, lol) from a kindly neighbor who had a tank of guppies. Today this would be called "low" tech -- it was a long small tank (the metal kind with black glue) with a forest of Sagitarrius, and no filters, air pumps or heaters).... it was completely self contained and balanced and she had it going for decades. Well, as most on this board know.... all it takes is one bite to get the bug!

So I pretty much rely on what I know and love to do research to keep learning, (studied biochemistry for first degree ages ago).

Now I am trying to learn about the newer lighting. (I am using for many years now halogans on spots hung a few feet on wall above tanks). Does fine for low light up to say swords. I have many tanks (trying to down size) and aqua/terrariums (being a sculpturess helps with that). I essentially fit my fish and plants choices to my budget and fixture constraints.

Currently I am setting up a 75 low light (Anubias, mosses, and red wood from CA which I've had a long time and will transfer from two 20 gallons, a school of Asian Glass catfish, Dwarf Neon Rainbow school, cory schools and black neon tetras.... There is one huge piece of wood (I mount it on rods and slate) and branches draping down as if from river bank above - (I use a heat gun to melt and configure the black plastic left over parts, and use suction cups to adhere the branchy woods to where I want them to drape).

The wood is dark and has knarls or burls so I am going to leave it plain so this will show up under the lights (ie no moss) and the moss will be on the branchy parts (already grown out). The Anubias will be on the floor bed in a "grove". Needle leaf is already on the moss covered wood here and there and will add more later.

I'm from Oregon (and take many photos of rivers, mosses, trees, rocks so on when I am able to out in nature, to use for ideas later) but here in NYC over 30 years so I have to bring the nature in.

I will be setting up two 20 gallon paludarium's for my bettas. (I am kind to my bettas, lol). There will be mosses and smaller ferns, needle leaf java fern so on on the land area (trickle water falls) and penny wort both land and water types with one oxallis for the other (if I am able to buy a better light source). At least that's the plan.

Anyway, saying hello after I got a welcome in my inbox, and I've read the posts for years on this steller board. Best Sherry

Back
Top Bottom