Hello new saltwater biggener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benz1988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
My name is Ben and I am getting a 74 gallon tank for christmas and I am going to start my first ever marine fish only tank. I have a fresh water ten gallon tank now and I've had many types of fish over a 5 year span but I would definantly consider myself a novice. Im searching for good advice with the new tank to help the fish I'll get thrive. One of my big questions so far in planning is what kind of filtration should I use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

HI Ben...welcome aboard :)

Are you doing literally fish only or will you be adding some liverock for decorating purposes?

For a fish only tank the setup is relatively simple. The same equipment that you use in a FW can be used in a fish only saltwater. You want roughly 1.5 of sand such as aragonite or crushed coral, per gallon. You can't use gravel made for a FW tank in a SW aquarium. You can use the same type of box filter for the size tank, such as an Aquaclear 110, but you also might want to add a powerhead of some sort at the opposite end to get a good waterflow...marine fish like a little more water movement to play in.

Again, if you go fish only, standard lighting will do. If you go flourescent, you want a tube that shows off the color of marine fish..don't use a regular freshwater range as the light isn't really bright enough. You can also use a 50/50, (Actinic/10,000K flourescent) if you want some of that "marine blue" color; compact flourescents can also be obtained with that same color scheme.

You want to make sure the tank has a good cover...glass or otherwise..some marine fish are jumpers.

Now, in addition to the above, if you are adding liverock, the idea is the same with a few minor modifications. You would definitely want at least a 50/50 bulb. When placing the liverock you want it securely seated in the sand or preferably sitting on the bare glass and adding the sand around it. Remember you are looking at rocks in a glass tank. You want to avoid shifts, either due to unsecure rock or busy fish, where you might get a "landslide." Some marine fish are great burrowers and can shift your entire aquascape. If there are rocks on top that aren't stable, they will tumble.

Just as with FW, you want to cycle your tank prior to adding fish etc. If you add liverock, there is bacteria in there that can help with the cycle, or, take a piece of raw shrimp, like you would get a grocery store, put it in t a mesh bag (to keep form losing it in the tank) and hang it in the tank. As it decays, it will provide the ammonia to get the cycle started. The cycling with only liverock takes longer, about 4-6 weeks, but adding the shrimp tends to shorten the cycling time to about 3-4 weeks.

A basic list but some may add to it:

Hydrometer or Refractometer (for testing salinity with refractometer being more accurate).
Salt
Filter w/associated media (this is a whole different conversation as to the types of filtration but at a basic level you want carbon, the filter sponge and filter floss if you are using something like the Aquaclear Filter(s)).
Powerhead for additional waterflow
Heater
Saltwater Test Kit: most of us use the API Master Saltwater (good for fish only) and/or Master Reef testing system (reef system). Avoid testing strips as they are not accurate.
Marine Fish style light bulb
Aragonite or crushed coral at about 1.5 pounds per gallon (may be slightly less with liverock but it can still be used)

As an aside, the FW decorations such as lava rock and driftwood cannot be used in a SW system. Any decorations not "natural" for SW systems need to be either plastic or glass. I know there are coral like molded thinks you can pick up and marine looking plastic plants but these are properly sealed for use in either a salt or FW environment.

I am planning on live rock on bothe sides and maybe some plastic decoration in the middle but thank you for the info I wasn't sure if an expensive canister filter would be needed or I could go with a hang on bag filter and I will add the power head on the opposite side as well. The shrimp idea is helpful as well.

What I neglected to add earlier was the water itself. Given that you are mostly FW right now, I am making the asumption you use straight tap water? While tap can be used for a SW system as well, tap water tends to lend itself to algae growth with a base problem being hair algae.

There are two ways to solve this problem...the first may be more expensive but if your LFS sells pre-mixed saltwater, you can go that route. Just make sure to test the water to make sure the parameters are good before adding to the tank. The problem with this is that the LFS could change their system or type of salt so unles syou test each time, you don't necesarily know what you are getting unless you really trust them.

The second route is less expensive but takes more work..that is an RO/DI system (reverse osmosis/deionization). This unit purifies the water to which you then add the salt. The problem here is storage space for the water and an extra powerhead to keep the water moving to keep it from stagnating if you don't use the water all at once; the powerhead also helps with mixing. You should also wait at least 24 hours between "making" your water and actually using it unless it is an emergency.

Welcome. The best thing to remember is go slow nothing good ever happens fast in a SW tank.

joy13 said:
Welcome. The best thing to remember is go slow nothing good ever happens fast in a SW tank.

Thanks I'm starting to buy supplies now that way I'm not overwhelmed when I get the tank. Hey I was reading some of the other forums and they were saying limestone would be good in your tank is that something that I could use along with some live rock?

Go slow and keep doing your reasearch.theres many types of substrate to choose from and possibly with live sand on top. Just accumilate all the info you can and i know when i got hooked back into the hobby after 20+years i thought i just wanted a fowlr tank,when i started the tank up it wasnt to long before i had a tank full of corals.. Theres a lot of good info out there..good luck

Back
Top Bottom