Hello new to saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dipietski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm interested in a saltwater tank. I found a 40 gallon I liked. Interested in live rock with some clown fish. What other species works with clown fish? How many fish can u have in a 40 gallon before it's too crowded?

I have a 40 gal tank too. I got 50 lbs of live rock form premium aquatics and am very happy. You could pair just about anything that would fit in a 40 gal tank with a clown. I would very generally say you could fit 5-6 small (1-4 inch) fish in a 40 gal.

Welcome to the forum!!

Yep, you have a pretty wide selection of fish to choose from when you want clown. Blennies, gobies, cardinal fish and lots of others.

Do you plan on it ever becoming a reef tank with corals?

Welcome to the forum!:welcome: As for how many fish, that depends on the size of the fish and type of fish.:)

40galreef said:
I have a 40 gal tank too. I got 50 lbs of live rock form premium aquatics and am very happy. You could pair just about anything that would fit in a 40 gal tank with a clown. I would very generally say you could fit 5-6 small (1-4 inch) fish in a 40 gal.

Do you have any pics of your tank?

carey said:
Welcome to the forum!!

Yep, you have a pretty wide selection of fish to choose from when you want clown. Blennies, gobies, cardinal fish and lots of others.

Do you plan on it ever becoming a reef tank with corals?

I was thinking about that a friend of mine has a salt water and she recommended to do the live rock. Is coral better

I was thinking if that a friend of mine has a salt water and she recommended to do the live rock. Is coal better?

If you are wondering if you can do live rock and coral, the answer is yes. Live rock is nice because it will help with the biological filtration in your aquarium. For most corals, you will need moderate to high lighting.:)

Yep, the most important part of a coral system is the lighting which can be very expensive. It also decides on what type of fish you can stock, as some fish will eat corals. So you can do a fish only with live rock, fowlr, and be able to have the live rock and the chance to get fish you otherwise couldnt

Welcome! I just got a SW tank and lobe the adventures I have gone on with it. It's a def thing to have on a bucket list! I went with a reef tank and I've learned my options for fish were limited, but doing the research there are still quite a few options! Besides, the research is a fun way to take my mind off graduate school! Good luck!

I would reccommend foster and smith. It is the only one I have used. But I am satisfied!!

Back
Top Bottom