Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via ICQ to GJ-Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to GJ-Anderson
Hello, newbie to fish

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and am new to fish keeping. My mom did have a couple of fish, but she didn't keep up with the equipment or other things so the fish usually died. I never had the time, nor did she listen to me about replacing certain equipment or cleaning.

I did assist a friend with his Koi pond and aquarium. I assisted in cleaning and even fed his fish when he was out of town. So have some experience in this way, but no fish of my very own.

I do have experience with keeping turtles, both pond and aquarium as well as snakes. I have also assisted in rescue operations of these animals. I wanted a pet(s) that will be able to go into a very small apartment (studio-efficiency). I tried a dog, but one always barked and the other kept running and jumping on things; just do not have the capability any more of taking care of the K-9 species. My landlady does not want me to have snakes, and it is difficult getting food since I'm on public transportation. Turtles will just need too much in startup and space in which I do not have.

I am on a very, very tight budget and decided I wanted fish. I found a great deal with my ex-wife on a 10 gallon goldfish aquarium starter kit so I got it. My ex-wife has a 10 gallon heater and will give it to me if I need it. I do not have any fish at this time, I only have the aquarium starter kit and black aquarium gravel. I am looking at getting some decorations then fish but before I do anything more...I am trying to figure out what fish I want.

I am hoping to find a new part time job soon as this will assist my budget some, and depending on certain things I am looking at getting a bigger aquarium with stand. I will be keeping my aquarium on a table, unless my ex-wife still does not want my mom's custom made aquarium stand (her grandfather made it for her when she was young).

The aquarium kit is from Petsmart and is their Top Fin Goldfish Aquarium Start Kit 10. It includes a black-trim 10 gallon aquarium, Incandescent hood with bulbs, Top Fin Power Filter 10 with cartridge, a 4" nylon fish net, sample goldfish food, water conditioner sample, and bacteria starter sample (whatever this is).

I got the kit around $30 (because of some damage to the box and my ex-wife's discount card (nothing inside was damaged, just some tears and water damage to the box). A local aquarium store was closing/going out of business and I was able to pick up the 25 lb bag of aquarium gravel for $7.50 (only had black and blue left and the blue bag was torn and about a third of the gravel was missing - they would have sold it to me for $5.00 because of that but I chose the black).

Well, I hope I can get some great ideas and figure out which fish I want to keep. I'm not very creative in this area (mostly poetry and music) but not decorations and such.

GJ-Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com