Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Using bottle bacteria, it's very important to follow the directions on the bottle. Start with just a few fish, add the product, feed minimally if at all, and wait a week. There is risk in this method, because it assumes that the bacteria are still alive. Because they are alive the product is perishable, and if it's not been stored/shipped properly from the plant to the store shelf, you can get a dead bottle. Lots and lots and lots of people have successfully used bottled bacteria, such as tetras safestart, but there are a number of reported failures too. Chances are good that it will work though.

Fish in cycling means doing lots and lots of water changes to keep the ammonia levels down while the bacteria naturally grow. This can be very tough on the fish, as well as the keeper. This is generally not a method people recommend, but it's a common method because people often buy fish without cycling their tank first.

aqua_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award
I would hold off buying any new fish and get a test kit if possible. You will want a kit that tests ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Liquid based test kit over the test strips if possible.
If you cannot get a test kit or get your water tested properly, then at minimum perform water changes each week. That will keep the ammonia and nitrite down as it is cycling. Without testing, however, you will not know when cycling has been completed.
The filter you have is basically a powerhead (the pump) connected to a square sponge. The sponge will serve as both the mechanical and biological filter. Do not clean it too often. Probably when there is decreased output from the pump. And when you do clean it, DO NOT use tap water; use water that has been removed from the tank after a water change. The chemicals in the tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria (BB) in the sponge. This will undue the work you have done for cycling the tank. It is the BB that consume the ammonia and nitrite from the fishes waste. It would not hurt to get a second filter in a tank that size. A hang on back (HOB) style filter should do fine. This will help ensure that there is plenty of space for the BB to grow.
Connected to the end of the powerhead/pump is what is called a Venturi. This has a tube attached that has an end above the surface. Water rushing through the outlet of the pump draws in air from the tube and mixes it with the water being pumped out thus producing the bubbles. So technically you are just introducing air, not just oxygen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any time. I can only offer what knowledge I have accumulated so far as well as personal experience but I will help all that I can. I am so in love with water life and my tanks are my pride and joy just like your mom I have Bala sharks, a pleco, a transparent knife fish that my boyfriend just got which means research time for me haha and most of all, I like to breed fancy guppies.

Neon Tetras are super cool. They are schooling fish so make sure you buy a couple of them. Also try to get an LED light so to bring out the color the most. They look so cool schooling all lite up. Im sure you will get so much joy from your tank and your mom will have her dream tank in no time.
BalaGuppieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I totally agree about upgrading your filtration. For a 75 gallon tank i highly recommend a canister filter. At the very least you will want to get a big HOB, like an aquaclear 110.
aqua_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd hold off on neon tetras until the tank is well established. They are very sensitive fish.
GreenLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
Welcome and hi to the Phillipines from Holland...
Good luck on filling that tank with the right species...
Devoted aquarist ever since early 1970's...

Specialized in livebearers &
specific breeder of rare livebearers...
emeraldking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
Welcome from the U.S. Both of my parents moved to the U.S. From the Philippines.

Anyway, I agree with what the others are telling you.

Have patience and your tank will be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote

75g, 75gal, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com