Hello there...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm tuned in for the rest of the cycling process and the upcoming build/stocking process [emoji106]

Sure. I plan to update this thread and I guess when my tank is cycled I will have a record :)

Regarding stocking, this is what I have decided as of now,
1. Cardinals or Bloodfins (may be 5-6)
2. Cherry barbs (3-4)
3. Some snails (2-3)
4. Cory cat fish (3-4)

Sounds like your going to have a good mix. I've been looking at cory cats instead of autos as I want to try to stock my 29 with nano fish. If I went with them would like to find some skunk or pepper Cory's. Only one I've decided on is the rummy nose just not sure what else

Sounds like your going to have a good mix. I've been looking at cory cats instead of autos as I want to try to stock my 29 with nano fish. If I went with them would like to find some skunk or pepper Cory's. Only one I've decided on is the rummy nose just not sure what else
Rummy and pepper or skunk cory's aren't really nano fish. If your wanting cory's go with pygmys. For other fish there are many true nano's, such as least killifish, endlers and many rasbora.

I say this because I have been researching to upgrade my 10 gallon tank to a 40 breeder with endlers, least killifish (not really a killifish, but a dwarf livebearer), pygmy cory's and a colony of mystery snails. I have pygmys and endlers in my 10, gonna double the endlers (only 4males currently) ,add 20 least killifish and my current 10 pygmys. Will be only ~50% stocked to allowed for baby snails and livebearer fry.

Stick with true nano's and can have a lot of fish.

So here are today's results and they are encouraging
Ammo: 1-2ppm
Nitrites: 3-5ppm
Nitrates: 20-30ppm

Questions below.
Is it time to top up ammo back to 4ppm?
When should I do partial water change to remove nitrate build up?
IMG_7371.jpg
Also below are the results of Tetra test strips which almost match that of API
IMG_7372.jpg

Thank you in advance

Many opinions on the ammonia, I would let it go to 0 then add more. Neither way really wrong IMHO.

Would just do big water change at end of cycle. In a fishless cycle that's part of what makes it easier.

Never used the tetra stripes, use api ones to check for gh/kh only. But I like the looks of them, may try next time. Do they check gh&kh?

I was thinking anything 2.5" or under would be nano. What size really would be nano? I do appreciate the tip though @toolman I am going to look into them. I have had my eye on rummy's for about 2 months now. Kill's are some nice looking fish also. I was thinking rummy's and neons would be my main fish but that may be up for debate. Maybe a few Cory's in the mix too.

Those test strips are pretty close in results. Maybe once it gets to .5-1ppm it back off to 4ppm? Just a thought

Many opinions on the ammonia, I would let it go to 0 then add more. Neither way really wrong IMHO.

Would just do big water change at end of cycle. In a fishless cycle that's part of what makes it easier.

Never used the tetra stripes, use api ones to check for gh/kh only. But I like the looks of them, may try next time. Do they check gh&kh?

I am only worried that if I let the ammonia go down till 0, it may starve the ammonia bacteria. Will it not?

And what is gh&kh by the way? [emoji849]

Gh is general hardness.
Kh is carbonate hardness.

Should be OK to go to 0, as long as you then dose it back up to 2 -4 again.

Google msjinkzd.com , Rachel o'leary is very knowledgeable. On this forum, Ashenwalt? (may have butchered spelling.

Gh is general hardness.
Kh is carbonate hardness.

Should be OK to go to 0, as long as you then dose it back up to 2 -4 again.

Google msjinkzd.com , Rachel o'leary is very knowledgeable. On this forum, Ashenwalt? (may have butchered spelling.

Sure thank you :) will research more on this.

So my bacteria, they are really working hard and here is the proof :)

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 30-40ppm

IMG_7388.jpg

So added ammonia top up back to 4ppm. Not doing partial water change, plan to do a big one at the end of the cycle.

Here is today's result :)

I had added Ammonia yesterday upto 4ppm and today its back to 0.25ppm. Nitrites I am not really sure if it has slightly reduced or the same. But nitrates seemed a bit confusing as it was lighter but the color did not match the color on the chart so I did a second test using the tetra strips and it showed nitrates between 40~80ppm

In short,
Nitrite: 3-5ppm
Nitrate:~50ppm

Topped up ammonia back to 4ppm

Below are the pictures of the test.
IMG_7410.jpg

And the strip test results. Ignore the test strip on the left, it is from my 5 gallon tank.
IMG_7411.jpg

Great progress! You'll soon be ready. :)

Thank you. I did a partial water change yesterday not sure if it was really necessary but it seemed like the nitrates were off the charts and the api test kit couldn't detect if where as the strips were showing nitrates in the range of 80-100ppm.

Thank you. I did a partial water change yesterday not sure if it was really necessary but it seemed like the nitrates were off the charts and the api test kit couldn't detect if where as the strips were showing nitrates in the range of 80-100ppm.

Yeah, at the end of a fishless cycle you should do a large water change, because the process has resulted in a *lot* of nitrates.

Yeah, at the end of a fishless cycle you should do a large water change, because the process has resulted in a *lot* of nitrates.

This wasn't that large water change because my nitrites are still not 0. I just did it because I saw the Nitrates way too high and the pH had started dropping. I did not want to stall the cycle by the pH going below 7.

Todays test results after a PWC yesterday..
Basically ammonia is dropping to 0 from 4ppm in 24 hours. Nitrites are still in the range of 5-10ppm and Nitrates are still in lower 5-10ppm.

View attachment 300120

Patience is the virtue !! My pH is varying between 6.5 to 8. 8 as soon as I top up ammonia and it falls back to 6.8 or so after 24 hours.

Am I missing something?

So here is todays result.. reached another milestone in the cycle (almost) nitrites dropped to 0.25ppm from 5ppm :)

Here is todays reading
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: >80ppm
pH: 6 (worried a bit)

Topped up the ammonia back to 4ppm. So I read that pH dropping is expected. But this low down to 6? Once I add ammonia it bounces back to ~8

Thoughts?

Here is todays test results
IMG_7618.jpg

Back
Top Bottom