Hello to all from a hobyist from India...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ragunnaath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All!

I'm from India and I'm a IT Manager by profession, married wth two kids.

I'm relatively a newbie to the aquarium hobby.

I started off with a 4G bowl that used to be home to 3 gold fishes about 4 months ago. I had bought the gold fishes for my 3 yr old son thinking that he would enjoy watching them swim around in the bowl. But little did I know fish keeping would get this, and in no time, I upgraded the 4G bowl to a 110G / 5 feet aquarium.

The tank is an imported acrylic is now home to some Cichlids. I have about 50 kgs of coarse white gravel as the substrate and about 20 kgs of slate rock, apart from some plastic plats and decorations.

The tank runs with the OEM 2600L/h powerhead and an external top filter. Aside to this, I have a Dolphin C-1600 External Canister capable of 1200L/h.

Lighting in the tank is standard 2 x 40W T8 lamps.

Tank inhabitants are Golden Severum (2), Spotted Scat (2), Silver Dollar (2), Firemouths (2), Albino Shark (2), Orange Morph (2), Frontosa (1), Silver Moony (2), Tiger Barb (3), Peacock Eel (2), Spotted Gar (1)

Water changes are at 20% weekly (though I dont see a need as the filters are doing a great job at keeping the water crystal clear).

I have been reading a lot on Freshwater and Marine aquariums ever since I bought my first bowl. My interests in this hobby are only growing day by day.

My dream is to be a successfull Reef Aquarist, and I'm already in the process of converting my exisiting tank to a SW setup. I wouldn't want to part with my fishes, but I'm strictly confined on space in my apartment and just cannot accomodate a second tank for this purpose.

I'm in the process of getting a 30G sump ready for the project which will house the Skimmer and the Refugium.

Pending things in the list are the Lighting (planning to go for 2 x 80w T5 for now as its going to be only a FOWLR setup to start with), Live Rock, Substrate (planning on fine LS with Argonite), Test Kit, Salt Mix, and Feeds.

I'm buying the LR from a friend who has dumped his SW setup, so I intend to put the LR under a curing process post which buy the Live Stock.

Hopefully, I will be successfull in this hobby wth the help of experts in this fourm.

Looking forward to interact with all of you out there!

Thank you for taking time to read my intro and sorry for such a lengthy one.

I'm attaching some pics of my exisiting tank. Sorry for the bad pics. Just couldn't manage to take a steady shot at the moving fishes. Maybe a DSLR would have done the trick.

-Ragu

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1705.jpg

DSCF1757.jpg

DSCF1729.jpg

Last set of pics....

Some more and final set of pics of my aquarium...

-Ragu

DSCF1797.jpg

DSCF1801.jpg

DSCF1803.jpg

DSCF1804.jpg

Welcome to AA. there are a ton of super cool fish native to india. i would love to get my hands on some of the new dario being found over there.

Thank you mgamer!

Yes the Dario (Scarlet Badis) is a lovely fish and quite colorful. Though I havent been able to spot them in my area, I've been told that the fish is largely distributed in the northern part of the country.

Considering my interests in to the SW and Reef hoby, I think you guys are lucky to be having access to so many of the lovely species. You know, it so **** difficult and expensive to find SW fishes and Inverts in India. Its a hobby which has still not got the right momentum out here.

-Ragu

Where in India re you located?

I spent a month in Noida working for HCL (Johnson and Johnson contract) back in 2006. Would love the chance to get back there again.

welcometoaa.gif

LOL! Seriously.. IMO I think the SW hobby is limited to a very few and thus making supplies limited as well. Demand creates Supply right!? So, its quite natural the choices are limited, and even the most common species of fish are expensive. And to add to the agony, its against the law to sell / buy Live Rock, Corals... :(

Hi Ragu,

I know several folks from Tamil Nadu area. Just don't aks me to pronounce their names :D

Most are working in the States or at the IT centers in India.

You cannot buy LR or coral? Are you allowed to collect it?
Know anyone with a boat???;)

Yes Cmor, none of the LFS are selling Corals or LR. This is infact a recent restriction a few months back. However I dont know if this is all over India or if its some restriction in my city / state. But I've heard the same response from almost 6 LFS guys.

I can get hold of people with boats through other friends. Why?

-Ragu

Thank you mgamer!

Yes the Dario (Scarlet Badis) is a lovely fish and quite colorful. Though I havent been able to spot them in my area, I've been told that the fish is largely distributed in the northern part of the country.

Considering my interests in to the SW and Reef hoby, I think you guys are lucky to be having access to so many of the lovely species. You know, it so **** difficult and expensive to find SW fishes and Inverts in India. Its a hobby which has still not got the right momentum out here.

-Ragu
there are a ton more then just the scarlet badis there. new fish are being discovered in india all the time.

Thank you Mike and Kristin!

@Danny: Good suggestion. I am getting to know new people the more I'm exploring. Not sure if there is a club or some sort of association. Will find out about that. :)

@mgamer: Agree with you. Maybe you should make a trip down to India sometime :)

one of my fish club members took a trip there and never came back lol one day ill be able to travel the world collection fish.

Back
Top Bottom