Hello to all my fellow fish lovers from NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy856

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to hobby, and looking to set up a 20 or 30 gallon FW tropical aquarium. Do not have tank yet, however I am doing my homework before hand. Any advice on setting up, maintainance, and stocking suggestions would be greatly accepted.

welcome aboard!!!!
my FW tank:
I use sand, and have some live plant.
some guppies, ghost shrimps and omg tons of snails, and that tank became a tiny ecosystem years ago, I don't have to do water change now, just need to add water from time to time.
so definitely look for create a chain

sicne I don't have much knowledge on FW tank.
only thing I can suggest is the ghost shrimps, they eat anything that leftover, and oh boy, they work fast!

Welcome to AA :) Good for you doing your homework first. The first thing you need to do before anything (after getting your tank and filter of course) is to cycle the tank. If you go in to the articles section, there are a few good articles on Fishless Cycling. Just plan on setting your tank up about a 2-6 weeks (thats just an estimate), before adding fish... Basically what you need to start with is a tank, a filter (something rated for more than your tank, if you get a 20g, get a filter rated for 30 or 40g), substrate (gravel or sand, pool filter sand is awesome), some decorations, water conditioner, a source of ammonia (pure ammonia with no surfactants is the quickest way, fish food or a raw shrimp will work), and a liquid test kit (API Master FW Test Kit is a good one)... That will give you plenty of time to figure out what fish you want as well. And dont be afraid to ask questions either... Hope this helps

good work with the research first!

Definately go with sand, Pool filter sand. I just changed out two established tanks from gravel to sand. You and the fish will appropriate the natural look ;)

Poo, if I was still living in Philly would offer you some tank squeezins to help your tank cycle faster.

Thank you

Ok; most of all, I just want to say thank you for the warm welcomes. Secondly; what is your outlook on purchasing used equipment. I placed an ad on CL that I was looking for a 20 - 30 gallon fish tank; and got a few good replies,but the bes so far was a 30 gal square w/ stand (also includes 2 filters, hood with light, gravel, and decorations). From sounds of things, I may onlt NEED to get a tank heater for it. She wants 50 for everything, and was wondering how good of a deal this is. Also, if I do have to purchase a heater; what wattage any type should I go for??? I am looking for the the most economically efficient (PC for cheapest, since I am not a money tree farmer).

Hi

The best that go together.

Take that, you sweet thing!

Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

Ok; most of all, I just want to say thank you for the warm welcomes. Secondly; what is your outlook on purchasing used equipment. I placed an ad on CL that I was looking for a 20 - 30 gallon fish tank; and got a few good replies,but the bes so far was a 30 gal square w/ stand (also includes 2 filters, hood with light, gravel, and decorations). From sounds of things, I may onlt NEED to get a tank heater for it. She wants 50 for everything, and was wondering how good of a deal this is. Also, if I do have to purchase a heater; what wattage any type should I go for??? I am looking for the the most economically efficient (PC for cheapest, since I am not a money tree farmer).

I love craigslist.. ive got every tank i have from there... keep looking, you may come across something better... search craigslist for fish and aquarium... thats always what i use as search criteria... usually, at least around here, you can get them closer to $1 per gallon or so... There are always those wanting what they paid, but usually there are reasonable people as well

$50 for the 30g tank doesn't seem that bad, with all the equipment and all.

Buying used though, buyer beware. Slap me in the head if I am just spouting off common sense....

Set the tank and stand up outside, fill it and let it sit for an hour or so to see if it leaks.

If you can go for two small heaters (say 25w or 50w), always good to have an extra running in the tank. Plus with two on opposite sides of the tank it helps to even the temp out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom