Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help a beginner........please

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jo and I am 6 weeks into my first fresh water aquarium. I work at a large medical clinic full of big fully stocked beautiful tanks....so I just had to have my own. I did some research and made the plunge..

All started well....then I got a fish with ich...then all my fish had it....then they all died . I cried like a small child and am here to learn how to maintain a healthy tank as well as advise on what to do next.

Please offer me some advise as I want to have happy healthy fish

Also this is the first forum I have ever joined so any pointers on where to post would be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well talking about the ice to take care of that all you really need to do is put some aquarium salt in there and then also turn up your heater and let the little guys sweat it out! That's how I've gotten rid of it before. And you probably did everything right but one of the fish you added may have already had it and infected the whole tank. That's very possible.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltymj View Post
Well talking about the ice to take care of that all you really need to do is put some aquarium salt in there and then also turn up your heater and let the little guys sweat it out! That's how I've gotten rid of it before. And you probably did everything right but one of the fish you added may have already had it and infected the whole tank. That's very possible.
I'd like to add that you should make sure your fish could tolerate the high heat for about 2 weeks, as well as if they could tolerate the salt. Fish with little or no scales ( loaches, catfishes.. ect.) could be harmed/irritated more with the salt in the tank, therefore causing the ich to infect the fish even worse. If able, move the fish with the worst ich to a hospital tank, or if you have a few spare tanks, separate all the fish. I cure my ich-infested fish by turning up the heat to 86, and dosing with ich-attack+(half dose for the medicine/salt intolerant fish.). I do a 50% PWC every day , thoroughly vacuuming the barebottom tank, dosing ich-attack every 3 days after the PWC. Continue this treatment for 4-5 treatments. If the ich seems to dissapear before finishing the dosing period, do not stop the treatment. This means the ich has left it's cyst form on the fish. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, there are many helpful people on AA.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, I just re-read your post, you've stated that your tank has been up for 6 weeks, is it possible that it isn't cycled? (0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a reading of some nitrates.)
Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome Aboard!

Was your tank fully cycled before you added fish? That's a first step I'd recommend you learn about and here's a link to help you with that.

Fishless Cycling For Dummies

As was mentioned, the fish could have had it when you added them, which is common when buying from questionable Local fish stores (LFS). Finding a good LFS is an important second step IMO, so look around and inspect the ones in your area, ask questions and don't be afraid to make them prove their worth before committing to buying from them.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Interesting shadow. Well I guess I just got lucky when I treated my fish. Good to know!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tell me if I'm wrong but I've been told from many of people to never get fish from petsmart because their fish can carry ich and other diseases. So I always avoid them.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I did treat the ich with medication....then with salt after my clown loach died...I had dalmation molly and plecotomus left...turned heater up to 82.....visible signs of ich were gone then the next day they both died. For days they just stayed at the top of the tank...pleco wasn't eating....molly was eating. Was the oxygen to low?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can get fish from anywhere and it will have ich. I bought a beautiful oranda from a ma and pa store a year ago. The tanks were beautiful, fish were healthy, so instead of using a QT tank as I usually do, I put it right in my established goldfish tank. Yep, you guessed it! It had ich and infested my other fish. Thank goodness it was "only" ich and not somethng like columnaris! I've bought fish from Petco which have had columnaris and Ive also bought many fish from there that were perfectly healthy. Its always a crap shoot, which is why QT tanks are so important. If a fish is in QT, even if it dies, at least you've only lost one fish instead of a whole tank!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorhoades75 View Post
I did treat the ich with medication....then with salt after my clown loach died...I had dalmation molly and plecotomus left...turned heater up to 82.....visible signs of ich were gone then the next day they both died. For days they just stayed at the top of the tank...pleco wasn't eating....molly was eating. Was the oxygen to low?
It's possible. Were they gasping or just staying near the surface of the water?

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com