Help need please. Looking to do a fishless cycle with household ammonia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shellbell1986

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Firstly a bit of background information. A few months ago my 5 year old son decided he want to get some tropical fish. Since then we have all been hooked.
We purchased a 2ft x 1ft tank set it all up and got a 6 zebra danios(local fish shop advised best way) to cycle the tank with. After doing a lot of research I now know this is cruel and won't do it this way again! To cut a log story short I have spent the last 4 week's being very obsessive keeping a daily check on fish, daily water tests & doing at least 3 water changes a week as soon as anything was rising. We are now showing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm of nitrate so finally there.

As a family we have all got completely addicted and purchased a 4ft bullet tank to upgrade to not cheap but hoping its going to look good once oher half has built it for me.

I have been reading a lot about using household ammonia to kick start a fishless cycle. Has anyone done this? If so is there an idiots guide out there? As it not hard to confuse me!

Look forward to hearing you advise.

Shellbell

Shell - Welcome!
For articles to answer your questions, go to "Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started" then go to "Stickies".
If you have more questions, then post them. Prolly best in a new thread in the appropriate forum/category.
Most likely household ammonia will not work unless it is free of dyes, fragrances, and surfactants (the latter makes it foamy if you shake it). I am aware of two sources: Ace Hardware or online look for Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. Good luck!

When I first started, I cycled with ammonia. Couldn't find ammonia w/o surfactants or fragrance in HD or Lowes, but I did find it in Shoprite!
Now that you've got a filter with BB, adding some media from that to your new tank will greatly speed up your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom