Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I will have to carry on with the water change then since i won't be able to take the remaining fish back.

It's my aim to keep the rest alive since i don't want to see anymore dying, it was sad enough to have 6 out of the original 9 die on me, when i was "allegedly" doing everything i was told to do!

I should of read more before i bought, so its my own fault.

M

Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Is you filter really dirty that is needs cleaning and how are you cleaning it? Filter media (even cartridges) should be cleaned off in used tank water during a PWC and never in tap water, tap water will kill the bacteria.

Fish find food by sight, smell and accidentally bumping into it lol. Don't worry about your fish starving unless the go more than a week without food (most fish) IMO. If you're seeing food left over go an extra day between feedings. If they're being picky, go 2 days and if they're hungry, they'll eat is my philosophy.
It was cleaned in the tank water, not with tap water.

i like your philosophy, same as humans I guess! lol

Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

HAHA! I tell my teenage daughter the same thing, it's what's for dinner like it or not (I'm an exceptional cook BTW) and if you don't want it, breakfast will be at 7AM lol.

It's not your fault, it's bad advice by a retailer with one goal in mind. How much can I make off this guy?

It's common, it's sad (for fish and you) and I doubt it's going to ever change and that's why forums like AA will help save your remaining fish and give new ones a better beginning in your tank.

Please keep us posted on how things are going and if you have a question, or need more help, we're here for you.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
HAHA! I tell my teenage daughter the same thing, it's what's for dinner like it or not (I'm an exceptional cook BTW) and if you don't want it, breakfast will be at 7AM lol.

It's not your fault, it's bad advice by a retailer with one goal in mind. How much can I make off this guy?

It's common, it's sad (for fish and you) and I doubt it's going to ever change and that's why forums like AA will help save your remaining fish and give new ones a better beginning in your tank.

Please keep us posted on how things are going and if you have a question, or need more help, we're here for you.
I have a 16 month old boy, so it's the same for him!
Cheers for that. I will be in touch and thanks again.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I hope that the remaining fish are alright.
I think too many fish went in before the filter was established.
We didn't do a fishless cycle. Didn't know about it til we already had fish in. Not much you can do then.
Starting off with two-three fish allows the filter to slowly build bacteria.
It's not advisable. I'd do a fishless cycle next time as it's worrying to think your fish could get sick!
Hope there better!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #16

Hi,

I have been doing since first email nearly two weeks ago, a near enough daily 10-20% water change. The remaining fish seem to be fine.

The chemistry at the moment is that Nitrites and nitrates are increasing slowly, which they were 0 when I first posted, but ammonia is still somewhere between 1-2 ppm. This does not seem to change. It's not increasing that's for sure. I am hoping that things will improve.

mike
Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_hughes1979
Hi,

I have been doing since first email nearly two weeks ago, a near enough daily 10-20% water change. The remaining fish seem to be fine.

The chemistry at the moment is that Nitrites and nitrates are increasing slowly, which they were 0 when I first posted, but ammonia is still somewhere between 1-2 ppm. This does not seem to change. It's not increasing that's for sure. I am hoping that things will improve.

mike
That small of a PWC isn't going to do a lot to reduce the ammo. If you have 1ppm ammo and do a 50% PWC, then the ammo wil be cut in half and I'd suggest 50% when ever the ammo or no2 climbs above .25ppm.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #18

Ok, thanks for the advice. I did contemplating taking out the fish and all the water, and the sand since i am convinced if you read previous threads that I have one tetra decomposing in the gravel somewhere giving out this constant ammonia.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the essential bacteria are in the filter, am I better off just starting from scratch completely, or is this a misconception.

mike
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_hughes1979
Ok, thanks for the advice. I did contemplating taking out the fish and all the water, and the sand since i am convinced if you read previous threads that I have one tetra decomposing in the gravel somewhere giving out this constant ammonia.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the essential bacteria are in the filter, am I better off just starting from scratch completely, or is this a misconception.

mike
Most of the bacteria will make their home in your filter once the tank is cycled, but right now I wouldn't suggest doing a big move like that. Do a 50% PWC and dig around for the dead fish, because it can cause an ammo spike IME and needs to come out. If you're using Prime to cure your tap water, double dose it for the total volume of the tanks water, not just what you're changing out is what I'd suggest and do that every 3rd PWC.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com