Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_hughes1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear all,

I have been reading your different threads for two weeks now, learning loads, since I got my tropical tank 3 weeks ago.

But I now need help from more experienced people like yourselves.

I started off nearly a month ago with my 60 litres ( around 15 gallons)
I was advised to leave it fishless for 1 week only ( I have since read it would of been better to leave it for longer.) I started off with poor advice and got 3 swordtails, 4 neon tetras, 1 peppered cory, and two bronze cory. One swordtail died within 6 hours from shop, no obvious disease with it. Over the next week or so, everything else died except for 2 neon tetras and one bronze cory, which are still alive 3 weeks later. I could not find 2 of the tetra's, presumed eaten.

I got my water tested in the shop, and ammonia was around 1ppm, nitrites and nitrates are 0. So I can see that the filter is working. This has been the same for last 5 days. I had been feeding very lightly every night, and saw that there was too much food decomposing. I have literally emptied everything out of the tank, cleared all organic debris yesterday, and did a near enough 30-40% water change over two days. This morning whilst raking the sand at the bottom of the tank, the body of a decompossed tetra made an appearance. I tried to look for another but to no avail. I tested the ammonia again, within an hour, and it was between 0.5-1ppm.

What else can I do? I know that the other tetra has probably died too, but it was not obvious last week, when I noticed that both were missing.

I wanted to get more fish, but obviously this would make the ammonia situation worse, so I am holding back. pH is steady at 7.4, through out this, and as I said nitrate and nitrite levels have not changed. Will the ammonia come down naturally. Filter has been cleaned, in tank water and seems to be ok. I have not fed the fish for 2 days.

Cheers for any advice

Mike

Since you already have fish, you may had to be doing daily water changes to keep ammonia low. Try not to clean the filter or substrate because a lot of beneficial bacteria grows in the filter and on the substrate. But the ammonia should come down naturally, try to reduce feeding as much as you can, too.

How many fish are left and how are they acting? What are your water parameters using your API kit (actual numbers are better than saying they're fine)? Most shops use test strips and even the ones that use liquid test kits aren't always accurate. Daily 50% water changes are going to be part of your fish keeping for awhile to keep the other fish alive IMO/E.

Here's a link to cycling with fish in tank: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Ok thanks for advice. I have bought some more " beneficial" bacteria today to add to the main water, since i have done quite a large water change over last few days. Filter was cleaned 1.5 weeks ago, haven't touched it since.

How often can i feed. I feel sorry for the fish since when I put the food in - one flake for the two tetra, and a pellet of food for the cory, I feel that they are missing out since the food just goes to random places. Do they actually smell and find the food?

How many fish are left and how are they acting? What are your water parameters using your API kit (actual numbers are better than saying they're fine)? Most shops use test strips and even the ones that use liquid test kits aren't always accurate. Daily 50% water changes are going to be part of your fish keeping for awhile to keep the other fish alive IMO/E.

Mr Limpet,

I started with 9, now I have two neon tetras and one bronze cory. They are doing fine. Lonely I guess.

Ammonia was 1ppm, nitrites 0, nitrate 0 , ph = 7.4-7.6.

Is doing a 50% water change going o be beneficial all the time since I am loosing good bacteria in the water as well, I know they are in the filter.That is 30 litres a day.

I have read your advice link, and it makes sense. I feel annoyed that I was given the wrong advice in the first place. I would of rather wait and do a fishless cycle.

Ok thanks for advice. I have bought some more " beneficial" bacteria today to add to the main water, since i have done quite a large water change over last few days. Filter was cleaned 1.5 weeks ago, haven't touched it since.

How often can i feed. I feel sorry for the fish since when I put the food in - one flake for the two tetra, and a pellet of food for the cory, I feel that they are missing out since the food just goes to random places. Do they actually smell and find the food?

Is you filter really dirty that is needs cleaning and how are you cleaning it? Filter media (even cartridges) should be cleaned off in used tank water during a PWC and never in tap water, tap water will kill the bacteria.

Fish find food by sight, smell and accidentally bumping into it lol. Don't worry about your fish starving unless the go more than a week without food (most fish) IMO. If you're seeing food left over go an extra day between feedings. If they're being picky, go 2 days and if they're hungry, they'll eat is my philosophy.

I have read your advice link, and it makes sense. I feel annoyed that I was given the wrong advice in the first place. I would of rather wait and do a fishless cycle.

If you can take the remaining fish back, doing a fishless cycle is much better (humane) IMO/E. If you can't read thru the link and do PWC to keep the ammo below .25ppm, 1ppm will do a lot of damage to their gills, etc. and no2 poisoning is even worse.

What you were told is quite common and fortunately you found AA and people that want to help you and your fish, not just to make a buck (or a pound in your case ;) ).

EDIT: Don't worry about the bacteria, worry about the fish. The bacteria will come in time, just smaller amounts.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to carry on with the water change then since i won't be able to take the remaining fish back.

It's my aim to keep the rest alive since i don't want to see anymore dying, it was sad enough to have 6 out of the original 9 die on me, when i was "allegedly" doing everything i was told to do!

I should of read more before i bought, so its my own fault.

M

Is you filter really dirty that is needs cleaning and how are you cleaning it? Filter media (even cartridges) should be cleaned off in used tank water during a PWC and never in tap water, tap water will kill the bacteria.

Fish find food by sight, smell and accidentally bumping into it lol. Don't worry about your fish starving unless the go more than a week without food (most fish) IMO. If you're seeing food left over go an extra day between feedings. If they're being picky, go 2 days and if they're hungry, they'll eat is my philosophy.

It was cleaned in the tank water, not with tap water.

i like your philosophy, same as humans I guess! lol

HAHA! I tell my teenage daughter the same thing, it's what's for dinner like it or not (I'm an exceptional cook BTW) and if you don't want it, breakfast will be at 7AM lol.

It's not your fault, it's bad advice by a retailer with one goal in mind. How much can I make off this guy?

It's common, it's sad (for fish and you) and I doubt it's going to ever change and that's why forums like AA will help save your remaining fish and give new ones a better beginning in your tank.

Please keep us posted on how things are going and if you have a question, or need more help, we're here for you.

HAHA! I tell my teenage daughter the same thing, it's what's for dinner like it or not (I'm an exceptional cook BTW) and if you don't want it, breakfast will be at 7AM lol.

It's not your fault, it's bad advice by a retailer with one goal in mind. How much can I make off this guy?

It's common, it's sad (for fish and you) and I doubt it's going to ever change and that's why forums like AA will help save your remaining fish and give new ones a better beginning in your tank.

Please keep us posted on how things are going and if you have a question, or need more help, we're here for you.

I have a 16 month old boy, so it's the same for him!
Cheers for that. I will be in touch and thanks again.

I hope that the remaining fish are alright.
I think too many fish went in before the filter was established.
We didn't do a fishless cycle. Didn't know about it til we already had fish in. Not much you can do then.
Starting off with two-three fish allows the filter to slowly build bacteria.
It's not advisable. I'd do a fishless cycle next time as it's worrying to think your fish could get sick!
Hope there better!

Hi,

I have been doing since first email nearly two weeks ago, a near enough daily 10-20% water change. The remaining fish seem to be fine.

The chemistry at the moment is that Nitrites and nitrates are increasing slowly, which they were 0 when I first posted, but ammonia is still somewhere between 1-2 ppm. This does not seem to change. It's not increasing that's for sure. I am hoping that things will improve.

mike

mike_hughes1979 said:
Hi,

I have been doing since first email nearly two weeks ago, a near enough daily 10-20% water change. The remaining fish seem to be fine.

The chemistry at the moment is that Nitrites and nitrates are increasing slowly, which they were 0 when I first posted, but ammonia is still somewhere between 1-2 ppm. This does not seem to change. It's not increasing that's for sure. I am hoping that things will improve.

mike

That small of a PWC isn't going to do a lot to reduce the ammo. If you have 1ppm ammo and do a 50% PWC, then the ammo wil be cut in half and I'd suggest 50% when ever the ammo or no2 climbs above .25ppm.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I did contemplating taking out the fish and all the water, and the sand since i am convinced if you read previous threads that I have one tetra decomposing in the gravel somewhere giving out this constant ammonia.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the essential bacteria are in the filter, am I better off just starting from scratch completely, or is this a misconception.

mike

mike_hughes1979 said:
Ok, thanks for the advice. I did contemplating taking out the fish and all the water, and the sand since i am convinced if you read previous threads that I have one tetra decomposing in the gravel somewhere giving out this constant ammonia.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the essential bacteria are in the filter, am I better off just starting from scratch completely, or is this a misconception.

mike

Most of the bacteria will make their home in your filter once the tank is cycled, but right now I wouldn't suggest doing a big move like that. Do a 50% PWC and dig around for the dead fish, because it can cause an ammo spike IME and needs to come out. If you're using Prime to cure your tap water, double dose it for the total volume of the tanks water, not just what you're changing out is what I'd suggest and do that every 3rd PWC.

Back
Top Bottom