Help with stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have started setting up a freshwater aquarium and I am new to this hobby.

I have a 60 Gallon rectangle tank that measures 48 3/8" wide,12 7/8" deep, and 24 7/8" high. I have hiding places in fake coral and fake plants. Right now I have an aqueon quietflow 55/75 power filter. I plan on adding a second filter (the same kind) or just getting the marineland C-360 canister filter and getting rid of the power filter before fully stocking the tank.

Right now I have 6 skirt tetras (3 black skirt and 3 gold skirt) and 3 black kuhli loaches. The woman at petsmart said it was fine to have three loaches but I am finding out online that they should be in groups of 5 or more.

My question is...Do I have enough room to add the following fish?
2 more Kuhli loaches (for a total of 5)
3 or 4 Melini Cory Catfish
5 Silver Dollars (I heard they should be in groups of 5 or more)

I know that if I follow the 1in per 1gallon I am overstocked as this amount would give me about 76 inches of adult fish. Aqadvisor.com seemed to calculate it as being fine if I have the C-360 canister or the second power filter.

Any advice or suggestions?
Also, I am trying to keep to fish that do not mind soft water as I have soft well water not city water.

Thank you!

Get 2 more loaches and get three cory cats. Idk about silver dollars...

Well actually you can probably get silver dollars...

I think silver dollars are a bit too big. What about hatchet fish ? Then you could also add a centerpiece and add more to your shoals/schools.

I think silver dollars are a bit too big. What about hatchet fish ? Then you could also add a centerpiece and add more to your shoals/schools.
Thank you! I am thinking I would rather add to the tetras if I can't have the silver dollars. I am not the biggest fan of the look of a hatchet fish. But thank you for the suggestion! Maybe I'll look into a school of bleeding heart tetras.

Back
Top Bottom