Help wth stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
This will be the first aquariaum I will set up and even after some research am not quite sure about how to stock the tank. It is a 15 gallon tank and my current thoughts are:
x3 Neon Tetras
x2 Cardinal Tetras
x1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
x1 Golden Gourami
x1 rainbow fish
x1 Male Show Guppy

This will be the first aquariaum I will set up and even after some research am not quite sure about how to stock the tank. It is a 15 gallon tank and my current thoughts are:
x3 Neon Tetras
x2 Cardinal Tetras
x1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
x1 Golden Gourami
x1 rainbow fish
x1 Male Show Guppy

Hi there! Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and cycling? Anyways, for your stock you have a good base but many tweaks need to be made. The neon tetras need to be in at least 6. Same with the cardinals and the rainbowfish(what kind, there are many kinds!)
The gouramis, can't keep 2 in a tank under 55 and deffinatlly not the gold as it can be up to 6 in.
The guppy should have at lest 3 and a 1m to 2f rAtio. You could try a stock such as
6neon tetras
3guppies
Possibablly 4 Pygmy Cory's
1 dwarf gourami

x3 Neon Tetras
x2 Cardinal Tetras
x1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
x1 Golden Gourami
x1 rainbow fish
x1 Male Show Guppy

The neons and cardinals are schooling fish so I would do 6 neons
1 flame dwarf gourami
4 panda cory or 4 kuhli loaches
1 male guppy

Hi there! Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and cycling? Anyways, for your stock you have a good base but many tweaks need to be made. The neon tetras need to be in at least 6. Same with the cardinals and the rainbowfish(what kind, there are many kinds!)
The gouramis, can't keep 2 in a tank under 55 and deffinatlly not the gold as it can be up to 6 in.
The guppy should have at lest 3 and a 1m to 2f rAtio. You could try a stock such as
6neon tetras
3guppies
Possibablly 4 Pygmy Cory's
1 dwarf gourami

Hehe beat me to it but yes I agree :)

Thanks for the quick answer and help. I'm a rookie and am a little overwhelmed. I am currently in the middle of my first cycle.
I was told neon and cardinal tetras would school together so would 3 cardinals and 3 neons work?
Everything else you said made sense and your ideas seem will work for me.

I think it would probably be better to pick either cardinals or neons, but if you really wanted to get both, I'd probably get 4 or more of each.

So what about:

4 neon tetras
4 cardinal tetras
3 guppies (1 M 2 F)
4 Pygmy Cory's
1 dwarf gourami

I have certainly seen cardinals and neons shoal together, but in the end, there's so little difference that having a mixed group provides you no benefit other than being able to say that you've had both. At a glance, they look essentially the same, with cardinals being slightly more colourful.

Everything else being equal, I'd say go with the cardinals. They're typically a little more expensive, so if budget is a concern, I'd go with the neons. Either way, there's not much point in getting both.

Also, when stocking, consider stratum. Some fish prefer the top, some the middle, and some the bottom (others don't care). Most of your fish are top and middle dwellers. You'll see Charlie and sky suggested corys and loaches. These are both bottom dwellers, and you'll appreciate their assistance in keeping the tank tidy.

So what about:

4 neon tetras
4 cardinal tetras
3 guppies (1 M 2 F)
4 Pygmy Cory's
1 dwarf gourami

You could try that, but they would be much happier and more active in 6. They are verry similar, why do you want both?? Just wondering!
I'd do
6 tetrA
4 Pygmy Cory's
3 guppies
1 dwarf gourami
Mabye look into honey gouramis
Not as colorful but dwarf can be very aggressive and many have a disease that is uncut able and deadlly

Alright thanks for all the help so far and I think I will stick with the ideas I last said but might change around the neon and cardinal fish a little.

Back
Top Bottom