Hey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found this forum through another fish site and there seems to be a ton of valuable information here so I joined.

I don't have a tank (although my wife maintains a 10 gallon tank with some small goldfish) but I want to build a paludarium, and I have my eye on some specific animals for it (hammers cobalt blue lobster, ghost shrimp, maybe newts, and some medium-sized fish). I want to find a tank about 55 gallons without spending an arm and a leg so if anyone knows of an available tank near Elko, Nevada, I'd be happy to hear about it. ;)

Welcome to AA!

Paladiums are cool. Be sure to post some pics of your build!

The stocking police will be along shortly re: the goldfish. ;)

I will definitely post pics when it's done - but I don't even have a tank yet, so that'll be quite a while from now.

Do people not like goldfish? My wife likes them and just wanted a couple. She has her eye on some Koi right now, though.

No... People like them. The problem is the common misconception about what size tank they need to be healthy. 10 gal is pretty small for multiple goldfish.

Ah, I see. So, if she has four of them, how large should the tank be?

Most folks would tell you 40 gal would be good.

The plan isn't to put koi in a 10 gal tank is it? That would be bad.

Most folks would tell you 40 gal would be good.

The plan isn't to put koi in a 10 gal tank is it? That would be bad.

40 gallons? Wow. They're so tiny, though... and the koi isn't much bigger, only an inch or two. I don't know if she plans on putting it in that tank or getting another, but she loves koi.

This is starting to make me wonder if 55 gallons is too small for what I want.

Goldfish require more room to thrive than most fish of a similar size. You could make a very nice paladium in a 55. Of course bigger is always better :)

55 is pretty huge, though. Although, it won't be completely full of water because of the land portion.

Thank you for the welcome. You have a very impressive tank.

Back
Top Bottom