Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cool Hey!

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and aquarium keeping and I haven't actually started my aquarium yet but I'm thinking I want to set up a 20 gallon saltwater tank with just clownfish for now. I know saltwater is a bit harder, but I'm up for the challenge! But i'd also appreiciate any advice..

Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

anything under 30 gals is really tough for sw. It requires much more care and water changes so your levels are safe. Be prepared to drop some $$ into the tank.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah i think i might actually start with freshwater until Ive got some expierience and then I'll maybe switch to saltwater.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by becz1234
Yeah i think i might actually start with freshwater until Ive got some expierience and then I'll maybe switch to saltwater.
There is alot of experience on here to draw from and also it's not as "hard" as it's made out. I know plenty on aquarium noobies that start and are successful in keeping, the comment previously was just you will need to put abit of money into it. Again it's not as expensive as its made out to be, doesn't cost thousands but it is more expensive than freshwater. Keeping freshwater can be just as difficult dealing with all the chemistry plus fish care but it's all made worth it with happy fish and happy tank, otherwise why would we do it. If your up for saltwater and really want clown fish I would go straight for it rather than spend out twice on two sets of equipment, experience can be invaluable but experience in fresh doesn't mean you know lots about salt, do why not go for it, people on here will help you every step of the way. Providing your honest and accepting of advice and direction it could be a great experience for you and you will end up with your dream 20gal with clowns?

Just a thought. Hope you go for it personally. I went into planted fresh, not knowing anything. I'm a gardener by trade but alot of that experience doesn't interpret to water gardening, so I had and still have alot to learn. The bumps in the road will always help us out in the future and we can share those bumps with others like yourself to help them not avoid the same.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by becz1234
If you have room for it and think you can do it, look on Craigslist for tanks and stands. I got my 55 gallon with stand and everything I needed for freshwater for $150. I needed alot of cleaning but was a great deal. I'm going to change it to saltwater once I get all the equipment needed for it. I have heard alot about bigger tanks being easier to maintain in fresh and saltwater aquariums. I think one of the more fun parts of aquariums is doing all the research on the different fish and plant species. . Welcome to AA!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Freshwater rocks!

Welcome to AA!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadu571

There is alot of experience on here to draw from and also it's not as "hard" as it's made out. I know plenty on aquarium noobies that start and are successful in keeping, the comment previously was just you will need to put abit of money into it. Again it's not as expensive as its made out to be, doesn't cost thousands but it is more expensive than freshwater. Keeping freshwater can be just as difficult dealing with all the chemistry plus fish care but it's all made worth it with happy fish and happy tank, otherwise why would we do it. If your up for saltwater and really want clown fish I would go straight for it rather than spend out twice on two sets of equipment, experience can be invaluable but experience in fresh doesn't mean you know lots about salt, do why not go for it, people on here will help you every step of the way. Providing your honest and accepting of advice and direction it could be a great experience for you and you will end up with your dream 20gal with clowns?

Just a thought. Hope you go for it personally. I went into planted fresh, not knowing anything. I'm a gardener by trade but alot of that experience doesn't interpret to water gardening, so I had and still have alot to learn. The bumps in the road will always help us out in the future and we can share those bumps with others like yourself to help them not avoid the same.
+1

If your ultimate goal is saltwater, I'd start there. I'm only doing freshwater until I get my saltwater equipment, and because my tank came from a guy who had it set up for freshwater. Once I get the things I need it will be turned into salt.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Welcome!

Freshwater is wicked

Saltwater is harder but more rewarding depends on what you want
Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Welcome..this is a cool site.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com