Hey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osomini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been reading for a couples weeks now, learning everything I can from various forums. Apparently I seem to learning about fishes, cycles, tank mates all in the wrong order.

Two weeks ago I bought a Fish tank and the LPS said I could put fish in the next day. Excitedly we bought a 5 fish and 1 Fiddler Crab (2 Neon Tetra's, 2 Zebra Danio's, 1 very small Tiger Barb). I asked every question my naive mind could muster and we were off to show the fishes their new home.

Later that night I began to research each fish species and everything possible about Aquariums, finding out that I just did everything backwards.

So here I am seeking some advice, I lost 1 Tetra and the rest seem to be doing fine, I had a brief encounter with Ich and quickly treated the tank.

I have purchased air stones, air pump, sponge filter, master test kit, enough decor for a 10 gallon take to hide the sunken titanic and a good 15lbs of gravel. I just ordered a Crab Habitat to help my little crab from hiding up at the top of the tank.

Now I am two weeks into cycling the tank with fish (I feel horrible subjecting them to this cycle) and I believe I need to remove some decor and make room for the Crab Habitat.

I have a plan to install the Crab Habitat but I dont want to stress out the fish more then they are already. I need to remove all the decor, gravel and setup the air stones/crab habitat, pump and decor all over again so it is visually appealing.

What is the best way to remove the fish and hold them for an hour while I do all this?

I am happy to provide any more information to help answer the question or if you just want to ask me anything.

Sorry if I upset anyone while they read this, I am new, and just wish I started researching everything prior to buying animals. :facepalm:

Welcome, they will be fine in a large bowl or bucket with a lid. I don't take my fish out of the tank when I rescape. Did you purchase an Atlantis crab habitat?

Yes the underwater lagoon. It should be arriving mid next week. Although I have the water levels low enough the crab can get out of the water on driftwood.

Yes the underwater lagoon. It should be arriving mid next week. Although I have the water levels low enough the crab can get out of the water on driftwood.

Oh we'll lol, those Atlantis things are the coolest!

They are, I was going to have a DIY Crab Sanctuary, but u opted for the one that lets me feed them whilst be less obtrusive.

I hope to limit the amount of times I have contact with the water, natural human body oils can't be good for the water right?

I think it's fine as long as you wash your skin before you put your arms in.

i would say get rid of the tiger barb it will get way too big for your tank and they are aggressive if not kept in groups

Hey just wanted to update everyone, because I know you all care! :lol:

In the tall 29gal tank:
5 Tiger Barbs
2 Zebra Danios (1M/1F) + 3 Fry
6 Pink Danios (2M/4F)
2 Neon Tetras (Moving to the 10gal soon)
1 Gold Inca Snail

In the 10Gal Tank:
5 Wrestling Halfbeaks Babies (Moving to the 29Gal soon)
3 Julii Cory's
1 Panda Cory (Adding 2 more soon)
1 Veiltail Betta

Back
Top Bottom