Hey all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yenner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just typed this whole thing and lost it. Suck. Here we go again. :)

Hey everyone. I'm new to the aquarium "game". Had a buddy get a goldfish and my wife informed me that her parents had an aquarium they were no longer using. I decided to look into it. I've always wanted one and aside from a fishbowl with just rocks in the bottom and later on a 1 gallon "starter kit", both of which I thought were fine when I was younger, I've never owned fish.

So we got the tank. I'll give a run down of everything. I redid the tank last night and am going with an OSU them since I'm a HUGE Buckeyes fan (save the snide comments/hatred please :)). I know most people prefer a good, clean, natural looking habitat but it was just too mundande/done for me.

For the natural look (not necessarily for FW fish) we started with white/light gray gravel and a little plastic plant along with a BUNCH of shells we have collected from various beaches over the years. We had some large puka and conk shells, some medium to small clam shells and other sorts, some kind of larger natural sponge looking rocks, etc. We lined the bottom and it just looked too busy for me and too bland.

So here's what I ended up with.

Aquarium:
- 20g regular with black trim (free)
- Air line (free)
- Over the side filter (free)
- 15" air wand
- Full hood w/ light

Substrate/Decor:
- 5 pounds gray gravel, 10 pounds red (or 'scarlet' as I like to call it) gravel. Will get 5 more pounds soon.
- 1 small, 2 medium, 1 large various plastic plants.
- 1 large conk shell
- 1 large mason jar with an air bubble, Ohio State golf balls, and some gravel. :confused:

Fish and such:
- 2 common gold fish, Bill & Ted (yes they're on an excellent adventure.:))
- 1 Pleco, Bono (because he 'sucks'. Yes this is a personal opinion. Yes I have heard ALL of their music. Yes I grew up playing all kinds of music. Yes I still play. Yes I can respect U2. No I don't like them.:p)
- 1 Fiddler Crab, Charlie (Daniels. Plays a mean fiddle. Found out with further research that Charlie is in fact female. Keeping the name anyways. :p) The mason jar with air bubbles and golf balls to climb on should make sense now. I actually got the idea from someone else (on here I believe) who used a common fishbowl and had pics of his crabs using it. A way to get air underwater. I thought it was ingenious.

Future Plans:
- 1 small/medium all plastic OSU replica helmet.
- 1 or 2 OSU "players" or figurines.

I don't know if I'll add any fish yet. These 4 seem to coexist with absolutely no conflict. If I do add it will be probably be 2 black moors or something similar.

I would also like live plants in the future but I haven't had time to read up on the care of them. I don't want to just toss something in without researching and this past week I have spent all my free 'aquarium' time (almost 2-3 hours daily actually) reading about FW aquariums, FW fish and compatibility, fiddler crabs, maintenance, health care, etc. Plants will have to wait. :)

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will get pics to post when I get home tonight.

Nice meeting you all. :cool:

EDIT: Pics here!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/my-20g-blurry-ish-pics-128130.html#post1093484

Last edited:
Welcome and since you are here, read up on how to cycle your tank and lots of other good information.

Welcome aboard. I`m the number one buckeye fan in the world. I hope Evan Turner stays.

Be careful with your shells as the spiral type can trap fish in them.

Welcome to AA :wave: even though you an Ohio State fan. Go Blue :)

Haha. Thanks. I respect Michigan football. Hard not too. Just like I respect Notre Dame. Can't stand them though...except for when they beat Florida in the bowl game. ;)

thincat said:
Welcome and since you are here, read up on how to cycle your tank and lots of other good information.

I have been reading a ton on here and other sites. Great info and great people it seems. :)

melosu58 said:
Welcome aboard. I`m the number one buckeye fan in the world. I hope Evan Turner stays.
Number one? I dunno. You haven't seen my apartment. :) I hope he stays too but lets be real, money talks. Oden said he was gonna stay 4 years and get a degree for momma. Momma changed her mind REAL quick when she realized a simple signature on a piece of paper nabbed $12 mil for her baby. Haha. :p

Besides, b-ball and baseball are my place holders until football season. :D

thincat said:

Hmmm...thanks for the info. The fiddler LOVES hiding in there but always emerges. I didn't know the fish could get trapped. Makes sense since the Pleco was in there the other day. Once when Charlie was. Had me worried. I watched closely but no probs. Whew!

I haven't seen the goldies do any more than search the outside. I may pull it out if they can get trapped. I'll keep an eye out. I don't want anything to happen to them. I'm amazed at how intent I am on this aquarium. I had no desire before now I check constantly. $0.28 gold fish. Who would've thought?

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice all. Truly appreciated.

......Go Bucks! :D

"I may pull it out if they can get trapped. I'll keep an eye out."
The real danger is that they swim in and can't turn around and die. This can then poison the whole tank. There are African cichilds that live in shell but most other fish get trapped.

"I may pull it out if they can get trapped. I'll keep an eye out."
The real danger is that they swim in and can't turn around and die. This can then poison the whole tank. There are African cichilds that live in shell but most other fish get trapped.

Ouch. Thanks for the heads up!

Add shells that are smaller then your fish and big enough for your Hermits to play musical shells with. Lots of fun watching them changing shells.

It's a fiddler crab, not a hermit. :)

The shell I have in there is broken so it's pretty open. I have been reading more though about fiddlers and fish coinciding and I think I'll grab that shell out tonight. I have to arrange something else for Charlie to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom