Hey All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wi7dBill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I`m from B.C. Canada, Vancouver Island I work now as an outdoor guide, I have guided fishing and know a fair bit about local fresh water/ andro. fish and inverts.
I`ve also had an aquarium of one sort of another most of the last 45 years or so, along with other pets. My parents bred hobby fish in the 70s and I`ve been playing around with all kinds ever since then. I have kept most of our native fishes,reptiles and a few inverts as well over the years.

My current project is a 55 gal. community tank with 2 types of shrimp and a few small schooling fish. The goal is a sustainable colony of RCS with a few diff. types of fish, I expect to loose 75-90% of the shrimplets. I`m looking for a stable environment, where the fish and adult shrimp co-exist without conflict.
So far the adult shrimp are out in the open un-molested most of the time, even when "berried". The tanks is 6 weeks old now and I have at least 4, 1/4" long RCS that are from the one berried female I bought. (started with 8 RCS and 4 Amanos) All the other females are now berried as well.
All the fish where young when added. (hoping this will help keep them from seeing shrimp as food when they get bigger. Its worked before with my baby Oscars, they did not eat the tank mates they grew up with, just every new fish I tried to add)
I am feeding the fish and shrimp flake and algae but minimal amounts as my experience has taught me that the small fish all live longer this way. Also no live plants to avoid co2 problems/ammonia spikes.

I have a thread in "New Additions" if any one else is doing anything similar, there is more info in that thread.

Back
Top Bottom