hey everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katej4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi,

we're here to learn from others. we recently set up a 55 gal freshwater tank, currently home to 3 feeder goldfish and 2 rosy barbs (recent) as well as some little otocinclus guys and some plants. we've had some problems with it in the short time its been going (about 2 weeks), including the death of a blue channel catfish who we introduced with our otocinlcuses (otocinclii??). here to watch what other people ask, learn about fresh and salt water tanks, plants, etc. glad to be here and we look forward to delving into this wonderful world!

Welcome to AA! Sounds like your tank is cycling. You'll need to do lots of partial water changes (PWCs) to keep your fish alive during the cycle. It's probably best that your channel cat kicked the bucket. It'd eat everything in your tank in a short period of time. They're basically a stomach with fins and they grow at an astonishing rate.

Welcome to the forum.

I would not recommend buying another blue channel cat. It will out grow you 55 gallon quickly and anything it thinks it can get in its mouth will end up being food.

i agree on not getting another blue channel they get huge in a short amount of time. and with your tank being freshly set up in needs time to cycle. doing partial water changes will help keep your fish alive

Welcome to AA. I am also new. In the few days that I have been on here I have seen that everyone is very friendly and extremely helpful! You will certainly get all the help you need! Good luck on your tank!

ha! thanks everyone! very helpful indeed. sure wish the sales dude would have given me some of this info before i spent my money on a poor choice! but i guess they have to make a living. =/ thanks again! this group is amazingly helpful!

Back
Top Bottom