Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

They also told me that as long as you have a good filter you don't need to clean the tank out or change the water........ Am gessing this is also wrong, I think they just told me what I wanted to hear to make money I went in and said I wanted an easy pet for my son to look after and learn responsibility they told me aquarium fish are the easiest as only need cleaning about once a year they also told me betta and guppies we're fine together witch upset my son a lot after the betta ate all the guppies am glad I got an aquarium but feel so unprepared now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oh my god those people are horrible!

Yes, they lied to you a lot. They have no responsibility in the fish market and it sounds like they just look forward to you restocking your fish constantly from their poor advice.

I'm no expert, but I'll try to help how I can...

First, a good filter does help a lot. You do need to change the filter media eventually though, I go every two weeks. How fast yours builds up, and your stocking levels may change that though. Also keep in mind I have 32 fish in my tank with four filter media between two dual units, rotating each week what one switches so I don't upset balances in my OCD self... Anyway! Your expirience may differ in that case, when you do switch the filter tear some of your old media off the card and put it in front of your new card (before the card, not after when it flows through to the tank.) This will help spread beneficial bacteria to your new filter media quickly and keep you from breaking your cycle easily. Some filters have things like biowheels or other bio media that make a "home" for bacteria to help in that regard too.

You do need to do water changes, but its really not that bad. Once your tank is established id aim for a 10% water change every week (or every two weeks depending on your flexibility). Petco sells a really easy syphon that hooks up to a bucket very easily. Just shake a little and it starts pulling water out, run it across the gravel (about half the tanks floor each time, try to avoid overcleaning by doing the entire thing) then the next time do the other half. This removes fish waste and extra rotting food. Replacing water is key in maintaining a "healthy" water system for your fish, just be sure to get a conditioner for tap water first.

Bettas and guppies can survive together BUT, it all depends on how territorial your betta is, and how fancy the guppy is. Avoid bright colors or big fins on guppies for roomies. I gave my Betta two snail room mates in his tank.

Don't worry too much about being overwhelmed, community groups are all over to help

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

My filter got three different compartment with sponges in that I took out the other day and washed in boiled water witch am now gessing was a bad idea? Prob be better to wash one a week? I don't have a petco only the one I got my fish from witch don't really seem to have any fish care stuff just tanks and fish and other animals I have plastic plants but read on here they prefer reals ones so was gunna go to the pet shop in the next town next week to get some would that be a bad or good idea seeing as my tank hadn't been cycled ( if this makes sence seeing as I have no idea what in doing )

Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #14

Wouldnt be too bad, the live plants in my tank when I started turned out okay, just research them to find what will thrive with the lighting you have in your tank. Some like lots of light, some dont.

Three stage filters are good, my 10 runs an aquaclear like that with a sponge/charcoal pack and bio media that can be changed at different times. So you should be okay on that, just do one at a time on seperate schedules so that nothing is "shocked" in your system.

Keep in mind though that as of now your tank is already cycling, you're at a "fish in" cycle so it will level out in time. And if they survived three weeks now for the most part, you should be somewhat okay so far

Fake plants mixed with real can be creative too. I attached an example of my 10g betta tank thats a mix of real/fake

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406406240952.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	244498  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #15

And with backround

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406406415481.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	244500  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

That looks really good here is my tank ATM I don't have any background so was going to putfake plants all long the back so it's kinda like underwater forest lol my front really bare so was thinking getting a cave and covering it in real plants seeing as my fish have no we're to hide iv attach a pick so if you have any ideas how to make my tank look better it be great to here them Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406406983.048870.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	244502

Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #17

This ones my 55G.

I like your tank, the blue rocks look awesome with your orange and yellow fish in there. If you do go for live plants id look into ones that like high amounts of light for how bright your tank is.

I'm sure your fish will also love you once they get a cave or two, I know my black Molly absolutley loves his rock formation at the left end of my 55. When he's not begging for food or blood worms at the surface .

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406407249364.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	244503   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406407269449.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	244504  

Name:	1406407586939.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	244505  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #18

Also be aware that live plants may carry in unintentional guests, like pond snails. So be sure to look them over well, otherwise you may need to use the waterbottle trick to remove them if they multiply.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are bloodworms? And should I be feeding them to my Molly's ( can't you tell am a newbie probably sound really dumb)

Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #20

Bloodworms are a type of treat food, you can find live, frozen or freezedried in most any pet stores. I prefer freezedried to prevent chances of some pests/contamination.

There's also tubifex worms that mine like to eat too. Take a cube and press it up against the glass and they chow down.

The freezedried bloodworms I use (included picture), you just sprinkle ontop the water, and the fishies go for it

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406408383024.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	244509  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com