Hey everyone :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjFizz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Novice aquarist here. Been hanging out on Fishlore mostly, figured I'd join up here too just because.

Set up my 20L freshwater tank about 2 months ago (other parameters can be found in my profile). Been having cycling issues, was trying to do fishless, but went ahead and put in 2 White cloud minnows yesterday on the advice of the LFS employee. Ideally looking to keep 4 GloFish tetras, a couple cory's, and I guess now a small shoal of WCMM (assuming they survive the cycle).

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. See you around the boards!:fish2:(y)

Thanks! I actually found that article earlier today by doing some Google research. Good stuff. :(y):

I am also a newbee on here. Folks are great and very helpful. This is my first tank since I was a kid 45 years ago. I don't think cycling was discovered back then!

I followed The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling. You can find it on this site. I followed it to the letter. My biggest problem was patience. I wanted it cycled NOW! But it worked perfectly. FYI. I have a planted 10 gallon tank with some driftwood. I have a Finnex canister filter. I cycled at 85 degrees. I didn't touch anything once I started the process. I used Ace Hardware Ammonia. It took 5 weeks give or take a few days.

Good luck but you really need to be patient and consistent with the process. I did not worry about testing for PH after I established my tap (well) water quality. I tested in the AM and PM, 12 hours apart for ammonia and nitrites and every now and then for ammonia 10 minutes after adding to make sure I added the proper amount every 12 hours. Once my ammonia went to zero, it never changed, so I switched to testing for nitrites and nitrates every 12 hours. It took forever for nitrites to go to zero. Just today I considered my tank cycled. I did a 70% change to get rid of my nitrates and I turned down my heater.

During cycling, I saved my test results and compared colors every 12 hours. I had a hard time matching test tube colors to the picture from the test kit. But I could easily compare colors from the morning test to the evening test and vice versa. That gave me some "trend" info and I knew which way the process was going.

I hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom