Hey Everyone! Just joined.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbar

Aquarium Advice Regular
My name is Jake and have just dove in to the aquarist life. Pretty new to everything and have started a 65 gal freshwater tank. I want to get into cichlids but of course the kiddos and wife would like the community fish. I have done quite a bit of research to see if they can adapt with each other (certain types of cichlids with other community fish) do you guys have any suggestions. IMG_0172.JPG

Welcome to the forum.
Most cichlids aren't really community fish, with the exception of a few New World species. If they want community fish for variety, color, and personality, have them look at Mbunas with you, or just African Rift Lake cichlids in general. Lake Victoria cichlids have some of the most striking coloration in freshwater, IMO.
Some of the larger S and C Amer cichlids have the most personality, IMO, but your tank is probably a bit too small for most of them.
But, overall, for color and personality, I believe cichlids will beat most community tanks hands down.

Thank you for the advice!

The Mbuna, Peacocks, and the Lake Malawi cichlids are some of my favorite. I've been doing research for a while now and joined a cichlids/fish club here in Arizona.

My tank is cycled and ready to go. I have introduced a few bristlenose plecos and clown loaches to move to a bigger tank when they get bigger. I want to get them settled before introducing any other fish.

What do you currently have in your tanks?

Back
Top Bottom