Hey from South Carolina!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dancer95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

I'm new here and kind of new to the fish world too. I have owned pet fish for a while now but was never really big in the fish world. A few weeks ago, I was setting up a new tank after having a break from any active tanks and bought 4 fish for my 10 gallon tank. The next day two of my new fish (a black molly and a dalmation molly) dropped babies so that helped spark my introduction to the fish forums. So I now have 4 tanks, a 12 gallon that is cycling, a 29 gallon with 2 Gold Mickey Mouse Platys, 1 Reg Wag Platy, 1 Sunset Wag Platy, 2 Sunburst Platys, 2 Fancy Guppys, 1 Dalmation Molly, 2 Red Minor Tetras and an African Dwarf Frog. My second tank is a 20 gallon hexagon tank that has a breeder box with all the molly babies in it (i think about 22) along with 2 zebra danios, and 2 black neon tetras. Finally, I have a small 1 gallon tank for my Cremesicle Lyretail Molly that is pregnant rather than her being in a breeder box. So, any advice anyone has for a new fish breeder that did not intentionally breed them would be appreciated.

:)

Last edited:
Welcome to AA! Here's an article I wrote in breeding livebearers. This includes the right tank sizes and stuff. BREEDING LIVEBEARERS

Breeding livebearers is fairly straight forward. Livebearer fish are guppies, platies, mollies and swordtails. These are a good starter fish since they are hardy and forgiving to new aquarists. I started off with platies and guppies. In the first 6 months of having them they had a fair amount of fry. At the moment I have 13 livebearer babies and 8 adult fish.
REQUIREMENTS:
Now suprisingly most of these fish need different sized tanks. Here's the recommended minimum size tanks for them
Guppies- 10 gallon
Platies- 15 gallon
Mollies and swordtails- 20 gallon.
Breeding is simple for all of them, however there is one rule which is a must for breeding. There needs to be 1 male to 2+ females. This is because the male will constantly peruse the female to mate with the,. This can lead to death in some cases. All these fish need is a varied diet, good water quality and lots of hiding spots. If you are serious about keeping fry and making money off of them then you will need roughly 3 tanks. A ten gallon for males a ten gallon for females and a 30 gallon for the fry. Place a male and two females in the 30 gallon tank, supplement their diet or vary it if you don't already. Wait for the females to show signs of pregnancy then remove the male. Let the females drop their fry in the 30 gallon and then remove them. The usual gestation period for livebearers is 28 days. Hope I helped
Sam
Hope you like the site so far!

Back
Top Bottom