hey from texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarGal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am working on setting up a 150g tank for my oscars. I need some help figuring out a sump for it so I thought I would see what I can find here. I filled in some info on my tanks in my profile. What I have where I plan for them to go ect. :) I am pretty much just maintaining right now until I can get some of these projects going. My main restriction is money so I am needing some money saving ideas. I am very wary of starting the sump because I dont want to buy something and waste money if its wrong. Anyway hello everyone.

You should know texas owns this place.. lol.. the best thing i can tell you for a sump.. go online.. type in DIY sump.. and everything you could ever imagin will pop up lol

Try and find a used smaller tank on Craigs list or your local classifieds.
A20 or 30 gallon would make a good sump. Glue some pieces of Plexiglass or glass into the smaller tank with silicon. (find plans online as MichaelsLilGray suggested)

Plus you will need an overflow...
Is your tank drilled?

You will also need a pump. (probably the most expensive item, although a new siphon overflow could cost over a hundred)

And various plumbing and tubing.

Good luck!

And welcome aboard.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys. Glad to add to the list of Texans. :)

I have done some reading online and looking at other examples here and there. I dont want to thread jump because I already started a thread in the DIY section on this but I will answer the questions. Move me if ya need to. :D

I plan on this being as much DIY as possible. I already have the design somewhat drawn up using plastic bins and stacking plastic shoeboxs. Nothing fancy, just functional. My tank isnt drilled so I plan on building my own hang on back overflow to save money.

Looks like you have the concept down. I found your other thread, so I will follow along there.

I currently have a 55 gallon with a couple Oscars, Jack Dempsey, Convict, and firemouth.

I've almost got a 110 gallon refurbished, so they will all be moving over to the bigger tank. And I'm going to use an overflow and sump as well.
So watching you will help me!
Looks like we are in sort of the same boat, tankwise~

Have fun and good luck.

Looks like you have the concept down. I found your other thread, so I will follow along there.

I currently have a 55 gallon with a couple Oscars, Jack Dempsey, Convict, and firemouth.

I've almost got a 110 gallon refurbished, so they will all be moving over to the bigger tank. And I'm going to use an overflow and sump as well.
So watching you will help me!
Looks like we are in sort of the same boat, tankwise~

Have fun and good luck.

cool beans... how big are your oscars?

Back
Top Bottom