Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey guys

Thought I'd say hello, HELLO.
I wanted to join this community has I love fish, I have a nice pond in garden filled with, goldfish, shabunkins, koi carp, White carp, sturgeon. Ogon carp (ogon I think).

But anyway just waiting for my goldfish to spawn and waiting for the fun to begin.
Hope to speak with u guys soon and give and take advice from all.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA. How many gallons is your pond?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #3

Thanks bud.. Give or take round about 1.000 gallons but making a bigger one this year. Do u have a pond m8.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byatch View Post
Thanks bud.. Give or take round about 1.000 gallons but making a bigger one this year. Do u have a pond m8.
That's definitely a good size pond.
No I don't unfortunately. My parents do though, and when I first moved to Oregon we stayed with my Mom & Dad. Their pond has a water fall and it was outside my bedroom window. I fell asleep to the sound of the falls and frogs, I loved it.
But alas, I'm a renter and my landlords would be a bit upset if I dug up their landscaping.
But if I ever own my own home, I'd love to have a pond.
For now I have 4 tanks.
A 10g with 5 baby Mbunas & a 55g with all different kinds of Mbunas and a 10g with 2 brand new dime size Platinum Veil-tail Angelfish. And a 55g with 1 Black Angel, 1 Koi Angel, 2 Scalare Angel.
I'm going to get a 75g for the Mbunas and a 90g for the Angels
Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #5

Yep the best sound at night is definitely the sound of the pond, mine to is based in the garden out side my room.

Sound like u have a few nice set ups there it must keep u busy.

I must agree Ur landlord will not be best pleased, as soon as me and family move to a bigger house this year the 1st thing I'll be doing is digging so I fully understand how's patients u must be feeling lol, I just can't wait to crack on.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byatch View Post
Yep the best sound at night is definitely the sound of the pond, mine to is based in the garden out side my room.

Sound like u have a few nice set ups there it must keep u busy.

I must agree Ur landlord will not be best pleased, as soon as me and family move to a bigger house this year the 1st thing I'll be doing is digging so I fully understand how's patients u must be feeling lol, I just can't wait to crack on.
It took awhile for me to get used to sleeping without that sound.

I love our fish and it would be a lot to handle if my grandson, Casey didn't help with all the work. Testing, PWC, everything that goes on he does with me. Which is way cool, since he's the whole reason we have fish to begin with.
Casey is 10 almost 11 now, but just before he turned 4 he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. So to help him we got a 10g tank. It worked so well we ended up with a 55g. But we wanted more than just Mbunas so we got another 55g. Then we got another 10g for another QT/Hosp tank.
The pH is so different between Mbunas and Angels that it's easier to have their own QT/Hosp. than it would be to change the pH every time.
Plus right now I have both baby Mbunas and baby Angels, I can't keep them together, so 2 10g tanks.
Any way Casey is just awesome with the help. Makes my life easier and much brighter.
Patients is something I've had acquire over the last 10 years. So I handle the, not yet things, much better than I used to.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Casey sound alot of fun and brings lot of joy to the family and fishes, sound like u have lots todo with all your tanks and baby fish so all help casey gets is appreciated haha.

Me and the kids have just done a 20% water change in our pond hoping my goldfish spawns they like getting stuck in and helping.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4 View Post
Casey sound alot of fun and brings lot of joy to the family and fishes, sound like u have lots todo with all your tanks and baby fish so all help casey gets is appreciated haha.

Me and the kids have just done a 20% water change in our pond hoping my goldfish spawns they like getting stuck in and helping.
When we started fish keeping I had no idea it would turn into a family hobby. I figured I'd do all the work while Casey & Megan, my daughter, would enjoy the benefits. But it turned out to be so much better.
Casey always helps, in fact he did a PWC by himself today for the first time. Well, I set the water temp. and put the Prime in. But he removed 20% of the water and then refilled it to the exact level it needed to be. No spills, no fish trauma, everything just right. I was so proud, not bad for 10 years old.
His Mom is disabled by a severe case of Fibromyalgia, but she does as much as she can to help.
Isn't it a little early (cold) yet, to start spawning? Maybe it's just here in Oregon, that it's still in the mid thirties at night.
I was just thinking, 20% of a 1000g is a **** load of water to change out. It's like my emptying 4 of my 55g tanks. THAT, is a LOT of work.
How old are your kids?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

a pond with a sturgeon in it?!?! is that even legal?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #10

Excellent wendi u av a real champ there, my kids, the youngest is 8 month boy then 3 year old lad, 6 year old girl then twins at 7 years 1 boy 1 girl.

But has u said it well could be a few weeks to soon to spawn but my goldfish is bursting and thought she might of spawned but when I did my water change yesterday I checked all the males for tubercle but none as yet so would be pointless if female did proceed now.

For the 20% water change it takes round 2-3 hours and use a very good carpet cleaner with a big drum and I also have a very handy drain beside the pond so it's all perfectly in place, then after I always add (please don't argue haha) aqualibrium salt that also keeps away infection and keeps fish stress free and maintains ph level.

@Alex I'm from the uk bud and it's perfectly legal to keep sturgeon in ponds but they do need alot of room, Infact I kinda have to delicate the pond for it by making sure it can swim all the round without it bumping into things and getting stuck as sturgeons are not great swimmers but ya it's all legal, I have aqua places that sells these fish for ponds, I was going to buy a sterlet the other they are the same as sturgeons but don't grow as big but they was kinda dying so they was not for sale.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« hiya | Ahoy Mates! »