Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyways, a brand new filter in brand new water isn't doing anything unless you have filter media out of an established tank ( running beneficial bacteria thru). Water conditioner is just taking out chlorine/heavy metals out of your tap water. I would definitely get a test kit even if it's the strips to give you ballpark readings.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your fish will get stressed and you might lose a couple ( maybe none) when ammonia levels peak, but not till they drop you will want to do a water change as this will just prolong the cycling process. Tho I have heard of ppl doing 5-10% water changes I have heard don't mess with it till it's complete.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee727 View Post
Anyways, a brand new filter in brand new water isn't doing anything unless you have filter media out of an established tank ( running beneficial bacteria thru). Water conditioner is just taking out chlorine/heavy metals out of your tap water. I would definitely get a test kit even if it's the strips to give you ballpark readings.
Ooh ok, so what should I do until my tank is "established"? And what exactly is an "established tank"??
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Your fish will get stressed and you might lose a couple ( maybe none) when ammonia levels peak, but not till they drop you will want to do a water change as this will just prolong the cycling process. Tho I have heard of ppl doing 5-10% water changes I have heard don't mess with it till it's complete.
Hmm, ok.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post

Ooh ok, so what should I do until my tank is "established"? And what exactly is an "established tank"??
First off, Petsmart employees know nothing about aquariums.
Now to your question. An established tank is a tank that will turn ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. Bacteria living in your filter does this. Ammonia and nitrites are very poisonous to fish. Nitrates are less toxic. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to cycle, to my tank taking 5 months.
While your tank is establishing you need to constantly check water parameters with test kits (I highly reccomend API liquid test kit. 18$ on amazon, and will last you years). If ur ammonia or nitrites go above .25, do a waterchange. When ur nitrites and ammonia are 0, with nitrates present, ur cycled. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

-Andrew
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should get a test kit. you definitely need to be monitoring your levels more now than a month from now. An established tank is just a tank with enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bio load your inhabitants are putting on it. (there helping break down the bad stuff). Basically all the food not getting eaten, which overfeeding is BAD, all the fish waste turns to poison. Good bacteria builds up in your filter and your gravel and breaks it down. And when you don't have enough it accumulates and poisons your water.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post

First off, Petsmart employees know nothing about aquariums.
Now to your question. An established tank is a tank that will turn ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. Bacteria living in your filter does this. Ammonia and nitrites are very poisonous to fish. Nitrates are less toxic. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to cycle, to my tank taking 5 months.
While your tank is establishing you need to constantly check water parameters with test kits (I highly reccomend API liquid test kit. 18$ on amazon, and will last you years). If ur ammonia or nitrites go above .25, do a waterchange. When ur nitrites and ammonia are 0, with nitrates present, ur cycled. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

-Andrew
Haha, yah that. I'm the slowest typer ever
Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Haha, yah that. I'm the slowest typer ever
I'm on an iPhone keyboard to! Of course I'm a programmer so I need to be a fast typer.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post

I'm on an iPhone keyboard to! Of course I'm a programmer so I need to be a fast typer.
Indeed you have cat like typing skills I peck, it took me like 4 min to type this, haha
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You should get a test kit. you definitely need to be monitoring your levels more now than a month from now. An established tank is just a tank with enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bio load your inhabitants are putting on it. (there helping break down the bad stuff). Basically all the food not getting eaten, which overfeeding is BAD, all the fish waste turns to poison. Good bacteria builds up in your filter and your gravel and breaks it down. And when you don't have enough it accumulates and poisons your water.
Ooh ok! I see!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com