Hey, kind of late but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prinzessin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I probably should have posted this a few days ago. I am new to the site, and just starting out with Salt water. I currently have a 29 gallon oceanic biocube with 9lbs of live rock, 10lbs of live sand (didn't want a deep sand bed) mushroom disc coral (which seems not so happy about the move from the 14 gallon biocube), two scarlet hermit crabs and a small snail. I had two ocellaris clown fish but I've given them to my LFS store for store credit, and will be getting two true percula clown fish soon. I am here mostly for advice rather then giving any until I get more experience at least. I've had a few fresh water tanks in the past. I grew up in south florida and I love the ocean and had friends with salt water tanks but just now starting my own. I had planned on just having a live rock and fish only tank but after seeing all the coral tanks at my LFS store I fear I cannot resist corals.

you should buy another 30 pounds or so of live rock and cure it in a separate container, since you have fish already, and add it to the tank in about a month, when it's done curing. 9 pounds of rock isn't much for a 29 gallon tank. live rock is the core of your filtration.it hold the bacteria colonies that sustain your closed system. you want more. trust me.

you should buy another 30 pounds or so of live rock and cure it in a separate container, since you have fish already, and add it to the tank in about a month, when it's done curing. 9 pounds of rock isn't much for a 29 gallon tank. live rock is the core of your filtration.it hold the bacteria colonies that sustain your closed system. you want more. trust me.

I am aware, but I am building up the live rock over time, I purchase my live rock from my LFS store. I have a wet and dry system with bio balls. I do not have fish, as I said above I gave my ocellaris to my LFS store and won't be getting the true percula clown fish for another week or two.

cool. doing good then. grab more rock.
just curious though, ...you didn't like the oscellaris?

Oh I liked them, they were just big for my 14 gallon biocube and then the sealent(sp?) broke and Oceanic sent me the 29 gallon but I had already given my ocellaris to the LFS store, they are in good hands there, the store is a very nice family owned store that took them in and I didn't purchase them from them in the first place. The two percula clown fish are tiny in comparison and they would take awhile to get as big and by then I will have a bigger tank, but now I have a 29 gallon tank, still not as big as I plan on getting at some point in the future.

interesting. i always thought oscellaris and percs grew to around the same size. cool. post some pics of your build!

interesting. i always thought oscellaris and percs grew to around the same size. cool. post some pics of your build!

They do, just the ocellaris were already big and the true perculas are still very young and small so for the time being til I could get a bigger tank I figured the smaller ones would do better til they are full grown and then I'd have a bigger tank for them. I have an album up of the 29 gallon, not much to it tho yet.

Back
Top Bottom