Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Increase water changes to 50% weekly preferably. If you don't already, leave the lights on no more than 8 hours a day. Those 2 things are the best you can do to prevent algae and help keep it under control.

ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Ummm... a monthly wc on a fully stocked 10 is not going to cut it. That's cyanobacteria or blue green algae. Do a weekly 50% wc and and dose the tank with eriothromycin. Remove as much as you can by hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
+1 I am betting this is Cyanobacteria as well.

I wouldn't be quite soo hasty as to use erythromycin right out of the gates, but definitely start with cleaning your tank.

Using a liquid test kit you want to get your nitrates no higher than 20ppm or so by doing 50% water changes. I would do these at least daily until things are under control. When you're doing water changes be sure to siphon as much of the cyanobacteria out of the tank as possible.

If the cyanobacteria doesn't go away with improved water parameters then it's time to bring out the big guns and use the erythromycin.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
+1 to Brookster123's advice. Not nearly enough wc's for that many fish in a 10 gal.
We are meant to be the stewards of the Earth and her creatures....not the masters.
Leeatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Will be increasing water changes forthwith and will try the erythromycin if that doesn't work.
sharkie335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I've got a ten gallon tank, with one betta and six neon tetras. I top up the tank about once every two weeks, and do a partial (1/3) change once a month. My problem is that I've got algae growing out of control. I got some TopFin AlgaeGone, but it's not helped at all.
First of all additives are not always the answer , try changing your lighting schedule by cutting it in half , more frequent water changes every 2/3 days till it clears up than start a new schedule once a week , lighten up your feedings to every other day,
simple things like this will make the difference , additives are a quick fix only masking the problem , the simple suggestions I mentioned should put you back on the right track and resolve your issue ,
and by the way welcome to AA

Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote

problem, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com