Hey! Problem with my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie335

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new and having a problem with my tank, so I'm looking for help.

I've got a ten gallon tank, with one betta and six neon tetras. I top up the tank about once every two weeks, and do a partial (1/3) change once a month. My problem is that I've got algae growing out of control. I got some TopFin AlgaeGone, but it's not helped at all. From doing some research, apparently one way to combat it is to get a pleco.

I know I can't get a "regular" pleco - my tank isn't big enough. But is there a dwarf subspecies that y'all recommend? How hard are they to care for? I do have a spare 2.5 gallon tank that I can use to set up a quarantine tank until I'm sure he's healthy - how long should I keep him apart if I get one?

Or is there another solution to the algae that I'm not seeing?

I have nerite snails in my 10 gallon tank, 3 of them. They are great cleaners and fun to watch. I have no algae problems

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could you post a picture of the algae please? There are different types that can be fixed in different ways.
Plecos, even smaller varieties like the Bristlenose may be too large for a ten gallon. As a substitute, my favorite algae cleanup critter is nerite snails.

What kind of light do you have on the tank and how many hours is it running?

(Btw I'm just down the road from you in Germantown!)

Pics

Here are some pics of the algae - there's some on the glass, more on the plants (both real and fake).

The lights are the LED that came with the tank. They're on from about 6 AM to about 8 PM or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 66
Don't snails tend to breed out of control? I've had several people tell me that snails are bad in tanks... (though they're not fish people so I don't know)

Nerite snails need brackish water to breed, I went to my lfs to buy assassians. The lady there told me I would be better off with the nerites if I didnt want more than what I bought :).

And if you're worried about them not being able to get to some of your plants, dont. Ha they will figure it out. I wish I could have seen this one climb up there.

Attachments

• 1435601335912.jpg
    1435601335912.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 58
Also I am no expert but I would cut way back on how long you are leaving your light on. I have a live plant (Java Fern) in my tank and only keep my lights on for a max of 4 hours a day. The algae is probably thriving because of how much direct light it is getting.

Ummm... a monthly wc on a fully stocked 10 is not going to cut it. That's cyanobacteria or blue green algae. Do a weekly 50% wc and and dose the tank with eriothromycin. Remove as much as you can by hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Increase water changes to 50% weekly preferably. If you don't already, leave the lights on no more than 8 hours a day. Those 2 things are the best you can do to prevent algae and help keep it under control.

Caleb

Ummm... a monthly wc on a fully stocked 10 is not going to cut it. That's cyanobacteria or blue green algae. Do a weekly 50% wc and and dose the tank with eriothromycin. Remove as much as you can by hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 I am betting this is Cyanobacteria as well.

I wouldn't be quite soo hasty as to use erythromycin right out of the gates, but definitely start with cleaning your tank.

Using a liquid test kit you want to get your nitrates no higher than 20ppm or so by doing 50% water changes. I would do these at least daily until things are under control. When you're doing water changes be sure to siphon as much of the cyanobacteria out of the tank as possible.

If the cyanobacteria doesn't go away with improved water parameters then it's time to bring out the big guns and use the erythromycin.

+1 to Brookster123's advice. Not nearly enough wc's for that many fish in a 10 gal.

I've got a ten gallon tank, with one betta and six neon tetras. I top up the tank about once every two weeks, and do a partial (1/3) change once a month. My problem is that I've got algae growing out of control. I got some TopFin AlgaeGone, but it's not helped at all.

First of all additives are not always the answer , try changing your lighting schedule by cutting it in half , more frequent water changes every 2/3 days till it clears up than start a new schedule once a week , lighten up your feedings to every other day,
simple things like this will make the difference , additives are a quick fix only masking the problem , the simple suggestions I mentioned should put you back on the right track and resolve your issue ,
and by the way welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom