Hey there!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halcion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

D/L this app a couple of weeks ago, and have been steadily reading threads before i joined in!!

Im Matt, and live in the UK. I recently got a tank which my gf had lying around, so i cleaned it up and bought a filter and lights and heater for it.

Its a hexagonal tank and i hope to buy a Red Tailed Black Shark.

Im open to suggestions and ANY advice about owning fish so that would be great! Speak soon!
Peace.

Welcome to AA! What's the size of the tank? =] And have you looked into fishless cycling?

I believe its a 12 gallon tank.

And i have clean gravel in it, and for the next month i intend to keep it full of water with the pump going, as i was told this would clean it.

Not sure of the exact definition of 'cycling' though...?

All right, well I hate to be the first one to break this to you but if I don't someone else will... a red-tailed shark is not a good inhabitant for a 12 gallon tank... it needs probably 55 or more to grow to full size...

Also, there's a lot of great articles on cycling here. Just go to the articles section... hold on and I"ll get you a link. It'll help you in the long run and you'll be glad!

Edit: Here you go! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Thanks for the link! Seems thats the right thing to do. But a friend of mine added water and fish, and they seem to be healthy... Whys that??

Also, are you sure, because 5inch fish in a tank my size seems okay....?

(i appreciate the help :) )

Well, sharks do need a lot of swimming room, I think that's why a longer tank is appreciated. Especially in a hex it's not going to get that...at the VERY least I'd put it in a 20g long.. It'd probably survive in your tank but it's just not going to be happy... Another reason is that its bioload will be relatively large for that size, so to keep it front getting stunted you'd have to do quite a lot of water changes.

Also, the fish can appear healthy, but their ammonia can still build up and burn them in the gills and such, which can be hard to notice at first. If you have bacteria to help, they'll also be less susceptible to getting diseases.

Oh, well thats rather dissapointing, i was looking forward to a shark! :(

I didnt want the normal generic fishes people put in tropical tanks, and their doesnt seem to be many sharks... But alas, i shall find difderent ones :)

I'm sorry... again, it's up to you, I just think you'll find most people on here would agree with me. What kinds of fish don't you want? there are TONS of unique ones, and maybe I could help you think of one.

I agree 55 is the smallest tank he should be in, they can be very territorial and need room to swim and plants and such to hide and feel comfortable. Remember u can't always go by the "inch per gallon" rule!! Happy fishkeeping! :)

Well, tetras arent my style of fish, and id prefer bright ones or more energetic fishes.

I was thinking a Brittlenose Plec just for cleanliness?

The bristlenose pleco although they stay small should be in a minimum of a 20 gal tank...Otto's are good algae eaters and they stay small, panda corys are good bottom feeders I would recommend at least 4 of either of these little ones tho they like to be in small schools...other than that u might want to just get some fancy guppies

Can Otto's and Panda Cories be kept together??

Also, thanks, those Fancy Guppies look absolutely awesome!!! Do they stay in groups?

They can be but given the size of your tank it would be way too much. Fancy guppies are awesome and yes do well in a school of 5 or so. If u went with 5 Male guppies and 3-4 Otto's you would be pretty well stocked IMO. I love my ottos check out my profile pics under the 10 gallon hex! Good luck

Back
Top Bottom