Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think all the half way witty intros are taken so I go with the standard. I was given a small 4 gallon aquarium as a graduation gift this June and although I only put 3 fish in it I really like it.

So last week I bought a 12 gallon tank and after running it for few days a put guppy in it 3 days later he is still alive.

I joined this community so that I could get advice about what kind of fish I can put in my tank and what I can do to make sure that they stay healthy.

I would like to put a lot of very small fish in this tank, like a school of tetras. Or if my tanks is too small for that what kind of fish can I get that would have the same kind of look?

My tank water is naturally 78-80 degrees. Living on the Texas coast means that it doesn't really get very cold so I am thinking that tropical fish are probably best. What do you think?

Welcome to AA!

Please read the article in my signature about the nitrogen cycle. Your tank, being new, has to go through this cycle, and in order to keep the fish healthy that you have you'll need to monitor it.

Post your specific questions in the FW-Getting Started section as there's tons of members anxiously waiting to help you out!

Hehehe once you get the bug for fishes you want to go bigger bigger bigger :)

Welcome to AA! :)

As Neilan pointed out, please cycle the tank first. It will save you a ton of headaches down the road. As far as fish, I agree that small tetras could work. Maybe neons or embers, a few danio species could work as well. Pygmy hatchets, cories, etc. There are a surprising number of nano fish options if you're willing to look and be patient.

I caught that bug and I'm still young.. I'll end up having a 10000 gallon aquarium someday O_O

An engineer at work had some humongous marine tanks with pipes leading to the filters in his basement.... Makes me want some huge full wall sized tanks.

I am going for my 3rd tank today, a freebe from a friend of mine who is moving. Another 30g tank I am thinking of stocking with Cichlid.

For a good hearty starter fish (OP's message) neon tertas and guppies are always good, as well as mollys.

talk about that bug... it hit me BIG TIME.. i started on june 1st with one 55g... progressed up, now i have five 55's, one 30, and a 10... in a mater of 2 months and one day :)

Back
Top Bottom