Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt N

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've been keeping fish since I was ten years old, at one point I had 6 tanks (not very large) in my bedroom, and I use to love going to sleep listening to water running. Although, eight years on, I'd still class myself as a novice.

Then when we moved, I had to cut down. A few of the fish was given away to new homes, and I cut the tanks down to three, one cold water, the other two tropical. As time went on, and I went to secondary school I dropped down to two tanks, but larger. One was a 20G, the other was my 30G, both of which I still have.

By now I was 15, and my aquariums had rubbed off onto my Grandma. She was in full swing with her 14G tank, nice healthy water plants sprouting everywhere, packed out with Guppy's and Platies breeding, four nice Peppered Catfish, and a little monster - her Plecostomus.

Anyway, my Grandmother does also like her Whiskey. One night, after she'd had a few Whiskeys’, as bent over to feed the fish, she lost her balance and went head first through the front of the aquarium. I got a phone call the next day from my Grandad explaining what had happened, and my Grandma asked if her surviving fish could go into my 30G tank. I could hardly say no, they were in a bucket stressed out.

Everything was going well, with my Grandma's fish in my tank, accept for the Plecostomus which seemed to be mutating. After about another 12 months, there was nothing left in the tank. The Plecostomus had grown to 12 inches, and pretty much either eaten or ripped everything up. In the end there was no other fish in the tank accept for the Pleco, I decided not to give up on the Pleco even though it had butchered the life from the tank. I moved my Cold water fish from the 20G to the 30G, and at that point I shut the 20G down and put it away.

Now at this point, about four months ago, my Sister asked for an aquarium. I, always loving tropical fish and plant growth, saw this as an opportunity to get rid of the Pleco. I told my parents I'd sort my Sister an aquarium out, so I got my old 20G back out of the cupboard and set it up for her. Within a couple of weeks, the Pleco and few remaining cold water fish were in my Sisters bedroom. So I drained my 30G and put a cover over it. It still remains like that now, but I'm planning on getting it back to looking like a nice tropical aquarium. I've decided on getting new equipment for the tank as well, as I'm starting over, which is why I joined this forum. I thought I'd get some good advice off you all.

I'll stop now, apparently I'm like my Grandmother, once I start talking I can't stop.:rolleyes:

Matt.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, incase you were wondering, my Grandma is fine.:mrgreen: Although she had to buy a new pair of glasses which came away worse than herself from the accident.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom