HI!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MRW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am new to the form but not a complete newbie to fish-keeping. I currently have 29gallon(cycled) tank. With 4 giant danios, 4 long-finned danios, 3 rosy long-fined barbs, 1 common pleco and 3 yellow lab cichlids (their only 1inch at the most). So far no fights or bulling for about a month hopefully it will stay that way.
I have be looking for a form for about a week and thought this was the best one.

Micah

Welcome to AA this is truly a great site where new aquarists and experienced aquarists alike can receive great advice and support here

Yay!! Welcome!! Glad youre here! :) also...people will probably comment on your common Pleco...most will think 29G is way to small, as commons tend to get rather large...just 'fyi'...I'm glad your cichlids isn't a meany :) welcome again!!

Reactions: MRW
The pleco is 2 to 2.5 inches hard to tell when ever time i try to look at him(her) it swims away. As for the cichlids I've seen them swim with the danios (all so 1 inch except one that's 2inch ) for five or so minutes without any bulling:grin:.

Welcome. As Joyler has said, a twenty nine is too small for a common. They reach at least eighteen inches, and a one hundred twenty five gallon is considered as the minimum for them.

There are wonderful, smaller plecos such as bristlenoses, what I'm getting in my twenty nine, and rubberlips. Both stay around six inches.

Again, welcome to AA, and enjoy the forum! :)

PS: I also was going to get a common for my twenty nine until somebody here told me about bristlenose plecos. So I'm not looking down on you, I have been in the exact same situation.

MRW said:
The pleco is 2 to 2.5 inches hard to tell when ever time i try to look at him(her) it swims away. As for the cichlids I've seen them swim with the danios (all so 1 inch except one that's 2inch ) for five or so minutes without any bulling:grin:.

Also, it might be that small now, but they grow quickly and will get stunted. It's not fun for the pleco.

Welcome to AA! If you've had the pleco for more then a year, don't bother upgrading it. It won't grow anymore. It's not exactly good for it, and is known as stunting, but you probably didn't know, and it isn't your fault.

Homedog98 said:
Welcome to AA! If you've had the pleco for more then a year, don't bother upgrading it. It won't grow anymore. It's not exactly good for it, and is known as stunting, but you probably didn't know, and it isn't your fault.

On a lighter note...lol! We really are glad you here! Welcome to the madness :)

The reason I got it was because we one in 15 gallon years ago and it did fine. Well that's what I get for trusting petsmart. And if he(she) dose out grow this tank there's one more reason to buy a bigger tank:grin:.

MRW said:
The reason I got it was because we one in 15 gallon years ago and it did fine. Well that's what I get for trusting petsmart. And if he(she) dose out grow this tank there's one more reason to buy a bigger tank:grin:.

It's ok. Like I said, it's not great for him, and he probably won't live as long as he would have if he wasn't stunted, but it sounds like he's in a good home. How long have you had him?

MRW said:

How long did that one live?

I assume you know what stunting is, but because I hadn't known at first, I'm going to ask. Do you know what stunting is?

The one in the 15 gallon lived for 6 years and died because the heater broke while I was on vacation. I have had current one for almost 2 months. Another thing his(hers) scales get darker when he is on darker objects and gets lighter when he is on lighter colored objects is this normal?

I assume it means that the don't grow to their full length so their growth is stunted.

MRW said:
I assume it means that the don't grow to their full length so their growth is stunted.

Their body doesn't grow but they're organs do. So the compacted organs eventually kill them.

Hi MRW, Welcome to AA. try to do some research on any fish you are interested in before you go out and buy, check: ultimate adult size and compatability with other species in your aquarium and their prefered water parameters you'll find all the information right here on AA ask your fellow members,
people you can trust!!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom